1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

J-Thomas is my Hero!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mosmgras, May 1, 2007.

1. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

So, I ordered a pair of zero flat wheels for one of my grasshoppers back in January. Since installing the wheels, this machine has seen about 30 hours of use.

Last Thursday I pull the mower into the shop to change blades. Upon lifting the mower, I notice that all four wheel bearings (two on each wheel) have failed. I mean, they are completely gone. The bearing cages have separated and all the ball bearings are gone! So, I'm thinking... WTF!

Monday I call J-Thomas thinking they would be glad to send me two pairs of wheel bearings... for a price. I don't know who I spoke with but he says, "Ok, I'll send two new bearing kits out today." So, now I'm thinking... what's the catch?

Today (Tuesday) I get two shiny new bearing kits in the mail! Invoice has the normal price along with a 100% discount! Now, if that's not customer service, I don't know what is.

These days, for any company to send out replacement parts with no questions asked, well... is rare to say the least. I would highly recommend this company to anyone in need of factory or aftermarket mower parts! :clapping:
  2. hartmas

hartmas LawnSite Member

I have never had a bad issue with J-Thomas. They are the only people I will buy from other than local.
  3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

man , I hate to tell you this, for grasshopper front mounts, the bearings on those front zero flats have to be those crazy heavy duty ones like the factory. tapered roller bearings, spanner bushings, etc. I have tried the standard run flats and you have to replace those outside bearings about every two weeks. If you are running a mid-mount or these are the rear tail wheels on a front mount, then the standard bearings will last a month or so. I kept a dozen standard bearings on hand, J thomas sells them. good luck, dave g
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I was wondering about how the impact would affect bearings on the foam tires and I guess we get the answer here. Essentially I guess they use the same bearing as the tube tires and the loads are probably much higher?
  5. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Ok, the standard flange roller bearing has a radial load capacity of 350 lbs. I looked and can't find a "heavy duty" version of this bearing. I did find a double sealed flange-less bearing with a radial load capacity of 900 lbs.

I know the flange is there to locate the bearing against the hub of the wheel. So, what do you guys think about using a higher capacity flange-less bearing? The thickness of the bearing housing is the same, so if I use these bearings with the stock spanner, everything will line up the same as using the flange type bearings.

6. Cut n Edge Lawncare

Cut n Edge Lawncare LawnSite Member

they saved me $22 on a set of high lift blades versus my exmark dealer. I love j.thomas
  7. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I've bought over 40 of their blades and a bunch of other stuff and have had zero problems. Great prices, good quality.

Happy Camper. . .