J Thomas Not So Easy Return Policy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawns Etc, Dec 10, 2007.

1. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Just want to vent a little about doing buisness with J Thomas I have ordered several times and spent thousands over time and have had 2 issues with returns. Just today I was servicing my JD 797 and went to change to the J Thomas Hydro filter that was listed as fitting and guess what? It din not fit so I had gotten 2 of them so I tried the other and same result AF 9862 is the part # listed and thats what I got so I ran to my Deere Dealer and got the right filter and even with the Deere on the box it was only $.36 more than J Thomass.

So after finishing the service I called J Thomass and told them about my problem their response was OK no problem box them up and ship them back at MY expense so I have 2 $9 filters that will probally cost $10 shipping to return and you sold me the wrong ones and the policy in your book says if you are not happy just let us know and well send a shipping tag to return it.The response I got from the rep was the items are now used and we will not pay for shipping and we will have to charge 15% restocking charge to take them and we will not pay shipping because they are now used.'

So how can I tell if they will fit unless they are opened and you say in 2 places ,Online and your catalog that they fit but now I am not going to waste my time sending them back after 15% and shipping Ill only get a refund of $4-5 total if Im lucky.The reps response was thats your choice then I asked for a manager and he said they did not have managers so I just said that thats the last order that they will ever get and he said there are thousands of customers and1 less wont really matter!

So I just wanted you all to beware as I have bought alot from them over the years and never really had and problems and they wont even honor their policy that is written about satisfaction. I am done with them!!!
  2. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I think this is the prime reason why I will buy from my local dealer when I need parts. They know what I need and whether it will work or not. They will also give tips as to how to make the work easier for me to do myself.

The shop has helped me out several times already for things that are normal PM items that I could have paid them to do but instead they have showed me how to do so I don't have to pay or break my gear.

Good luck with this deal and hopefully J Thomas will make this right for you!
  3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

While I have never had a problem with J-Thomas. I would never buy oil filters from them. The pennies you save from buying online are not worth taking a chance on a cheap filter. Oil filters are not all the same.
  4. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Good luck with this deal and hopefully J Thomas will make this right for you!

They will not make good of it thats why I am broadcasting it to the site as stated I have never had any real issues with dozens of orders till now!
  5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

How did you pay for your order and how long has it been since you ordered them?
  6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

If a company is going to do business through mail order, they should go head over heels with customer service since they are often very far away. Not paying for shipping is just ridiculous on their part. I'm sure others will now think twice after reading your post.

I purchased a pair of shoes from a manufacturer here on LS back in August. In only two months, they started coming apart on the outer right boot side. After talking with them, they told me to send them back. They made no offer to cover this charge. It cost me $13 to mail them from NC to Oregon. Then to top it all off, it took them two weeks to determine I'd get a new pair and that was only after I called them to find out what was going on. They said they'd been very busy.:confused:

If I had just dealt locally, I'd have had a replacement pair of shoes in 5 minutes. Needless to say, I deal locally now.:)
  7. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

We deal with J-thomas and i would have to say the service for us has been great.

Im surprised they didnt make good for you.

The amount of money i save buying from them far outweighs the dealing with the local arrogant dealers.
  8. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I just think it is a good idea to buy some things face to face so you know what you are getting. If I buy a pair of boots in person at least I'm going to know they fit when I walk out the door.

If I buy a filter at the dealer's store it should fit but if it doesn't after I try it -- surely he'll make an exchange.

But that filter problem with Thomas is a sour one. Their part # is wrong or the wrong part is in the right # box. I believe I'd put my complaint in writing and address it to the complaint department . That ain't right what they did.
    Those filters are not used -- if neither fits how could they be used ?

9. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I ordered my grass baffle from j-thomas and a trimmer holder a couple years back. I never have bought filters or any "dealer" parts from them. Its just to easy to get them at the dealer and you know they are good quality.
  10. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I have learned my lesson with this mail order stuff too. Everything works out fine as long as you have no problems. But a lot of companies will not pay for the item to be shipped back if you need to return it. Stick with the local dealers. Another tip is tell your local dealer what you are paying online for the parts and blades. You will be surprised at how many dealers will discount the items for you. I buy blades in bulk. I have found two local dealers that are willing to discount them for me.