J. Thomas Parts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfer, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

I was thinking about ordering a gear box and maybe some rebuild kits for the left and right side gear box's for my Walker. I read in the J. Thomas catalog that they manufacture their parts. How are they compared to OEM stuff ? Price / Quality ? My nearest dealer is about 20 miles away and he just about always has to order my parts. I pay for shipping. I'd rather order direct and have it shipped to me if I'm going to have to pay shipping.

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

On a related matter, I just got my first J. Thomas Catalog in the mail today. Its pretty impressive!

3. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

I have used J thomas parts for the last 4 yrs and have found
    them to be quite good. If you order $1000 you get free shipping and 10% off. I have tried a lot of others and have received some bad parts.

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think they manufacture them but they source them from oem suppliers. I have purchased alot from them and all appears to be to be equal quality. I even bought a set of belts for the Grasshopper that actually had the Grasshopper Logo on them. So chances are, they actually get the parts from the same place as the mower manufacturer.

5. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

They do claim to manufacture their own parts, but they don't say which ones or how many. I did order 2 full sets of belts from them last week for the lesco mowers and the belts they sent for the transmission was wrong. Their reference numbers and the id numbers on the belts matched up but they were a FULL 3 inches longer than the ones on there! They think the whole "batch" is probably labled wrong. It is a good thing I do PREVENTITIVE maintenance instead of waiting for it to break. I would have been down for a couple of days while waiting on a six-dollar belt!

6. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

One of my guys crashed our bobcat ztr into a curb. bent the rim, destroyed the tire, yoke and just about everything else. I ordered the parts through j. thomas. they arrived very fast and were excellent..

7. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

J Thomas is great. We do a lot of business with them. Never had any serious quality problem with their stuf and any minor probs were taken care of very quickly and very professionally. Shipping is very quick / prices are the lowest I've found and the staff is very helpful. That new catalog is impressive isn't it?
    I had the chance to visit the warehouse last year (they're about 25 miles away). It's very big. I highly reccomend these guys. They're one of the keys to my success (a grat parts supplier). Good Luck.

8. Kevin

Kevin LawnSite Member
    from S.E. PA

Do they have a phone number?

9. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

J-Thomas----I placed an order via their website on thursday march14, and received it the following tuesday the 19th......shipped by regular ups.....I was a happy camper

very good quality and very reasonable prices. Case in point- a 12.5 kawi filter from my dealer (oem of course) cost me 18.25, j-thomas cost me 6.25!!!

On the other hand, I had ordered a set of belts from Landscapers supply........they had to be back ordered......after 2 months, I still did not have them.........they were slow to respond to emails. Finally, they informed me that I had to reorder the belts!!!!!! Needless to say, I will never order from them again.

10. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I've narrowed my parts ordering to J. Thomas and Mowmore. I've yet to order from J. Thomas but was impressed with their catalog. They carry a lot of parts that I've never seen before in other catalogs. Mowmore's prices are very competitive and have always had parts in stock. I've given up on Landscapers Supply. Very expensive, always leaving stuff out of the order, and always having to back order.

LAWNS AND MOWER