1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

J-Thomas Rules!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Aug 10, 2003.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok here's the set up. Last Friday the electric clutch goes out on my Toro 44 Proline. It's 2pm. Go to my local parts dealer, and they don't have it in stock. Tell me they can order it, and MAYBE it will be in by Tuesday. Price was $240 with tax. Go out to my van and call J-Thomas. They have it in stock and lists for $169. Pay an extra $60 to have it shipped overnight. Clutch is on my porch the next day (keep in mind I'm in NC, J Thomas is in Michigan). Long story short, saved $11 AND had the part the next day!!!! Worth checking into!! www.j-thomas.com
  2. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) J-Thomas does do a fine job, ive ordered several things from them, nice to hear you saved 11 dollars and was back and running the next day...........Marks Mowing Service
  3. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I've ordered there free catalogue through there website. I've ordered it twice and I have yet to get a copy. It's been 4 months now. I'll support my local dealer. They are there when I need them.
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If my local dealer had parts i would support them too, i will try this. Looks like they have more great dane parts than great dane.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Try calling them. As for supporting my local dealer, yes if its a part I need now. As for belts, filters, etc...., I'll continue to order them from J-Thomas. Why pay $40 for a belt from my local guy, when I can get it for $22 from J-T?
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've bought a lot of parts from them and have always had good luck. Usually over the winter, when I service everything ,I'll get a large order from them. To me, going to the dealer for parts is for emergencies only. Why would I want to pay $15 for a blade at the dealer, when I can get one from J Thomas for half the price?
  7. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

I've always gotten great service from J-Thomas. I'm glad to hear the word is spreading about them. You just have to make sure that the shipping isn't going to cost you more than getting it from the local dealer.

from AL

How does the quality of their ProLong Hydro Filters compare to OEM??

9. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

man you've got a bunch of filters there. How many days is shipping to AL mister Ultamate Lawn?
  10. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

Why would anybody pay your rates instead of the kid down the street who will work for $15/hour? Because of this mentality. Why should your local dealer give any decent prices on the original equipment if the after sales aren't there? While I agree to be an informed consumer who knows the value of the goods you are purchasing remember that your dealer is a small businessman like you that is making a living (by means of profit). I would inform your dealer of competitors pricing and allow him to respond.