1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

J-Thomas sold!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tallimeca, Jan 18, 2008.

1. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

Word is Stens bought them out. Stens does a small about of direct sales to LCO's. Wonder how this will go?
  2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

J. Thomas, Parts and Supplies for Outdoor Power Equipment.
    These guys send you the wrong parts than they say you order the wrong parts
    It happened to me:cry:
  3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

stens is a good company the local mower shop we get our parts from runs their line and i think they have good stuff
  4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Stens is actually a BRAND under The Ariens Company.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not so sure, maybe it's time to put in a good $1,000 final parts order just in case.

But it might be for the best, concerning parts I had my bit of aggravation with them back in the days too.
  6. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

And if you check it closely, you might find it is the exact same thing as sold by Gravely, Kohler, Indak, Carlisle, etc.... as it is made, and sometimes even labeled for them by some of the OEMs.
  7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I hope it actually is a change for the better. I dealt with J Thomas for many years. Not huge purchases, but quite a bit over the years. In the last two years I have noticed a change. Some of the parts I have ordered have slipped in quality and fitment. I also noticed their customer service did not quite seem as understanding as before.
  8. got this e-mail today.

January 18, 2008

Dear J. Thomas Customer:

This letter is to inform you that J. Thomas was recently purchased by Stens Corporation. I would like to personally welcome you into the Stens family of businesses as a result of the acquisition.

Our plan is to continue to operate J. Thomas as an independent company. As a current customer, your relationship with the company will not change and we do not expect any disruption of your current service.

J. Thomas built a new business model in the OPE parts industry. The resources of Stens will ensure it remains strong well into the future. We look forward to continuing the tradition of exceptional customer service that J. Thomas has established over the previous 20 years of business.

If you have further questions about this acquisition, please contact me directly at (812) 482-2526.

Peter Ariens
  9. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Same e-mail I got.
  10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I never got the letter. Wonder if I should call this guy and complain? You yanks always get things first.
    Now that they are sold I can finally tell of a couple of my experiences at J Thomas. Two years ago I bought 25' of 8" flex pipe for my leaf loader, they charged me for 5'. You guys that have bought the stuff know how much I saved. Last summer we bought about $1500 worth of stuff, they forgot to bill me for a $200 seat another nice savings. Never noticed until we got to the border and had to declare the stuff. The crap we went thru paid for the mistake they made. Had to show the receipts at the border and the seat was missing from the receipt. The hose we never noticed until two weeks later when I went back and bought a 20' piece for full price. Normally I would have said something but there was a few other "problems" with our order so I called it even. thanks J. Thomas.