1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

J.Z.Smith Landscaping

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by J.Z.Smith Landscaping, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Very cool set up you have JZ, like the D series Deere. I have been trying to get into the landscaping biz myself and hopefully will be able to this year. Seems like you're doing something right for yourself, you seem to have a pretty good thing going.

2. ROC lawn and landscapes

ROC lawn and landscapes LawnSite Member

Nice lookin setup you got there JZ... If dont mind me askin what is the size of the shop and what does it run you for rent a month? Keep hittin it hard and one day you wont be able to leave the office!! lol

3. J.Z.Smith Landscaping

J.Z.Smith Landscaping LawnSite Member

2 brothers -Its Hiannis. close enough haha

Bleed green - Thanks! that loader is great. I had a larger CT 332 but the thing was a tank. Kind of over kill for smaller jobs. If you have any questions about business feel free to ask. I like to see other people succeed.

ROC- The shop is 1500 sq ft. Its $1000 a month. I have to say I finally got out side today. Its almost that time of year again and I know every one cant wait!

4. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks JZ. Right now im trying to get on working for someone else to get my feet wet in the industry first. Done some stuff on my own but nothing really extennsvie thus far.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. J.Z.Smith Landscaping

That's always a good idea. It gives you a good chance to learn the ropes. Just don't fall victim to there bad habits.

6. Dirtwerks

Dirtwerks LawnSite Member
    from IN

Nice looking operation you have going for yourself JZ. I was curious how you like your 323D coming from a large CT332. Have you had any issues I've heard a coule of guys on here complaining about a few things, one guy mentioned the 2 speed he didn't think had enough power to run it fast.

7. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

Man, really envy the shop and you have a full time secretary or something?

Damn. How many accounts do you have? Very nice work sir.

8. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

Edit: Just did some more reading and see that you're very young! I envy that. (I'm 24 now) but I too got my first client when I was 10 or 11. My dad would drop me off with the pushmower, and terrible electric weedeater in the trunk of the car haha and I would blow the grass clippings by walking the pushmower with the blades on down the sidewalk, anyway my point is I should of stuck with it. I worked for and ran alot of company's and went off to college so finally I had enough with making other people money and started my own business last season. Went from 3-25 clients last year and now I'm just trying to tack on as many as possible. Good work, I like seeing young guys with actual full on companys.

9. PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC LawnSite Gold Member

nice equipment have you thought about buying a shop ? might be cheaper less money wasted cause in a year you will spend 12k+ on that shop.

10. J.Z.Smith Landscaping

I plan to buy one in a few years. Unfortunately its not going to happen any time soon. I rent a house now so I going to buy a house then I'll buy shop. Land and buildings are expensive around here and because of my age iv got limited credit.