1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Jack/Lifting Device Z Turn Mower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ebpd49, Jul 31, 2006.

1. ebpd49

ebpd49 LawnSite Member

Does anyone know the name of a jack or lifting device that goes under the front of a Z turn mower. The device picks up the front end to make blade changes and deck cleaning easy. Thanks for your help
  2. EMWEB

EMWEB LawnSite Member

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

4. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Ballard super-jack
  5. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Ive thought of those before. You can use them as a winch too!

Roger, do you tie it onto the frame or anything so when it tilts while raising, it dosent fall over?
  6. notoriousDUG

notoriousDUG LawnSite Member

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I sharpened blades on my ZTR this evening. I took a few images to help explain. The day was waning and darkness was falling, so the images aren't very good. However, I think they explain the use of the Hi-Lift jack.

The jack has a small lip on the end of the lifting lug, and I put the lip behind the front frame. The rear wheels are blocked, so the machine will not roll right or left.

I use a simple ratchet and socket to take out the blade bolt, glove on one hand to hold the blade. The deck does not need to be very high; no need to have room underneath for an impact gun. Unscrewing/screwing the bolts is trivial -- two blades on one side, one on the other. I'm sure the scheme is much quicker than driving one wheel on the trailer ramp. And, the ratchet saves batteries, cords, and hoses. The tarp underneath is to catch debris. I scrape down the deck when the blades are off. The scraping is the longest task.

The green carpet is for a cushion when laying down to do the work. Sorry, I guess I'm too soft for this work!

8. Mickhippy

Thanks mate. The pics are good enough to work out whats going on!
    Im definitely going to look into this some more! Is there any particular brand I should look at first?
    There are hook like attachments for them which could be handy!
    Thanks again!
  9. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

Harborfreight. com also sells a "Farm Jack" as they call theirs. Item 6530

If you have a store close by they run them on sale for around $30.

TSC sells the American made Highlift jack for around $60-$70 and also sells a china made clone like all the others for around $40

10. Mickhippy

Ive seen one on ebay for Au$99 and the few name brand models run from about Au$140 to $170.