1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Jack Rabbit/Self-Storage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gudtimes, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Gudtimes

Gudtimes LawnSite Member
    from VA

Any of you guys run your business out of a Jack Rabbit or self-storage facility? I am currently running mine out of my house and am trying to get away from it. I would like to get my own shop, but that's not really in the budget right now, so I was think that a self-storage facility might be a good cheap route to take.
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I know what a self storage is but what is a JACK RABBIT.

since I am sure you aren't talking about the kind with fur, I am assuming it is like a self storage company chain?

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

A Jack Rabbit is a storage unit franchise with 11 locations in Virginia I believe.
    You assumed correctly Geo. ;)
  4. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

We worked out of one a couple of years. We didn't have electricity for a time, later moved into a bigger rental with power. It was close to my home so I could walk. We had everthing we needed. Everyone met there make it good. Several guys here have had equipment stolen out their front yards. You do what you have to do. Good Luck
  5. Gudtimes

Gudtimes LawnSite Member
    from VA

Yeah, sorry about that...I was under the impression that Jack Rabbit Storage was a national chain since they are seen so frequently here in Hampton Roads.
  6. wagner17

wagner17 LawnSite Member

I'll be running mine out of my garage as it would cost ~$120 per month for self-storage. Can't justify that cost as of now, but it will not be pleasant to take up garage space with all my equipment.

7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I run mine out of a spare room and garage (and back yard, and driveway). Thought about a shipping container for storage (8x40). BUT.....I found a metal building, 20x30 16 ft tall at center metal arched. US buildings makes it. I have to assemble and build footers for it. you can leave ends open, enclose them with a kit they sell, or build your own end walls. The option I am getting is just the arch. 16 foot is an option....12 foot tall is standard. $3704, delivered. I have to have concrete brought in for the floor. Should cost me around 1500 for the concrete plus my labor. Not a bad price for what it is.