jackhammering a boulder

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by nov141992, Mar 27, 2006.

1. nov141992

nov141992 LawnSite Member

In my yard there are several boulders whose tops are just above the ground. It doesn't look good, and it creates a small hassle when mowing. Last year I was able to remove some with a rented Toro Dingo skid steer. Some I couldn't get out though.

I'm thinking of renting an electric jackhammer to remove the protruding tops of these boulders.

Has anyone done this before and is able to comment on the liklihood of my being able to do this? Is it likely that I'm going to spend a lot of time and not have much to show for it? Or is it likely that I will be able to take the tops off?

Please indicate if you have any personal experience using a jackhammer. Thanks for any help.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Get a rock grinder and grind the top surface off. I don't know how hard they are but they use grindes in our area to grind 15' deep ponds for runoff.

3. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

well you can do it that way but around here the money is all the same with a jack hammer vs track hoe with hamer . the small takes longer so your rental bill will be as much as if you just rent a machine that will do it in a day. saves you time which is valuable

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I would say rent a backhoe instead of a jackhammer. JMO;)