1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jcltyson, Apr 14, 2006.

1. jcltyson

jcltyson LawnSite Member

What does everyone use for jacking their ZTR's up for under the deck work (changing blades ..etc.)? I just got a Hustler Z and it's profile is a bit lower than my Toro. The jacks I was using will not fit under the deck of the Z.
    What does everyone else use to get under their ride?
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I use an A-frame I built years ago with a 1 1/2 ton com-along, I can stand one up on the back bumper so no jacks or stands get in the way, And I can squat down instead of lay down. Of course I use a safety chain or straps.

000_0002.JPG a-frame 2.jpg
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Just put your trailer gate down and run up with one wheel on the edge....if you have a trailer.
  4. jcltyson

jcltyson LawnSite Member

Thanks guys... I saw something in Jungle Jim that looked interesting. It was simple but a bit pricey. Didn't know if anyone had tried it.
  5. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

If you don't mind the price, the Jungle Jack is a great product. If you can weld and have local access to some steel stock you can build a similar item for much less cash.
    I used an A-frame for years. I then went with an overhead I-beam track system that used a couple of trollies and chain-falls.
    I had an old hydraulic automotive bumper jack that saw lots of use with equipment.
  6. WalkerMike98

WalkerMike98 LawnSite Member

I run walkers
  7. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

Jungle Jims Jack is the way to go, it is portable and very handing in the field.
    It is there when you need it. :cool2:
  8. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

Believe me when I tell you this is a total "No-Brainer". Don't waste any money or any more of your time even thinking about how to do it or what to buy. Just get a Jungle Jack! I've got two of them. First one I bought from my dealer over 4 years ago and paid about $165.00 for it. Then, about a month ago I saw them advertized for $125.00 with free shipping from "www.commercialdirect.com", so, even though I didn't need another one, for that price I couldn't pass it up. Lifting ZTR's and large, commercial walk-behinds is exactly what they were made to do and nothing does it better, easier or quicker.
  9. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I would think everyone has to have a suitable way to change blades on the job, not only at the shop or at home.

I run one of my mower wheels up my ramp to the point where the back tire is touching the ramp. Then I place a block of wood in front of the outer wheel so when the mower climbs the ramp, both wheels raise. Without the added block, I don't get enough clearance for the impact tool.

I made my block from three 2x12's screwed together. I first cut each piece at a 45 degree angle then assembled them so a tire could easily climb up onto the block.

I have never used a Jungle Jack, although at times I have thought of making one. I just wonder if they would raise the deck high enough to operate an impact tool and still have clearance to lower the blade bolt when removing the blade. I wouldn't want to be limited to having to use a breaker bar each time.
  10. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

I also use a pnuematic impact tool to remove/install blades. Like I said in previous post, Jungle Jacks where made just for this purpose. When in the raised position you have PLENTY of room for blade changes, thorough deck scraping, etc. I am sure if any dealers in your area carry these jacks (and many dealers do), they will demonstrate its use on one of the floor models for you. AND, if you are able to peek into the back where their mechanics work on ZTRs and WBs you will most likely see at least one Jungle Jack in use.