Jacksonville

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by mommacutz, Aug 30, 2004.

1. mommacutz

mommacutz LawnSite Member

Any lco's from NE Florida? How's the business?

2. fishinman22487

fishinman22487 LawnSite Member

I'm from St Augustine.

What part of Jax do you live?

3. mommacutz

Westside Jax. How's the business there? We have been getting slammed by underbidders.

4. fishinman22487

Ya, business has been good. I get underbid a little in Palencia, have you heard of that subdivision? All the yards at Palencia are "cookie cutter" lawns!!!
    What kinda equipment you operate?

5. mommacutz

36" bobcat stihl edgers and trimmers and a echo backpack blower what are you working with? Yeah I think I know about Palencia. Is that the really expensive subdivision? How many in your operation?

6. fishinman22487

Palencia is kinda expensive, the section I maintain is like the mid class of the subdivision.
    I'm solo right now, June and parts of July I had a friend helping me but there wasn't enough hours for him. You have any pics of your equipment?

Here's a pic of my rig!!

36' Exmark Viking
    shindawia edger and weed-eater
    echo hedge trimmer
    echo backpack blower

lawn set up.jpg

7. mommacutz

sweeet! I'm going to have to learn how to work my digital camera so that I can download pic's. Do you think we are going to get hit by the hurricane?

8. fishinman22487

Well it sure doesn't look good for northeast Florida:(

But you never know, Charley turned and know one knew it would do that!!!! I live in a mobile home on the Island in St Augustine so I don't think Im going to stay

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

What's the growing season on your St. Augustine in Jacksonville? Down here it's weekly cuts April-October, then every other week over the "winter" (dry winter and early spring months), sometimes more on really nice lawns.

I'd guess you're cutting it weekly April-October also, maybe 2x/month in March and November as it transitions in and out of cool weather, but probably doesn't need mowing at all Dec-Feb. Am I right?

Also, how much Bermuda do you see? Much Bahia?

10. mommacutz

That sounds about right about the cutting. We see mostly St Augustine grass here. Rarely do we come across Bahia, when we do we hate to see it. That stuff can really wear down your blades.