Jacobsen 22'' reel mower for sale

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by curry, Mar 13, 2008.

1. curry

curry LawnSite Member

I have a Jacobsen reel mower in great shape for sale. It has the Honda engine. New clutch and machined ground 3 months ago. Great mower. Asking $1250. I can send pics, just PM me.

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

What comes with it? Does it have groomer/roller on the front? What about the wheels to get it from wherever to the green. Can the reel spin backwards to back lap itself? Any other info? How many hours etc?

3. curry

curry LawnSite Member

It doesnt have an hour meter so that I dont know. I bought from a dealer who completely broke it down and cleaned it, and fixed or replaced anything needing to. I put around 5 hours on it and realized my wife couldnt use it. My yards keep me to busy and she mows for the exercise but its to difficult for her so Im selling. It does have the groomer on the front. It does not have the transport wheels. I didnt need them and they are a pain to use unless you store it a long ways from where you use it. I assume it can spin backwards, not sure. I had it machine balanced and sharpened before I bought it so I havent had to do anything. The reel and bedknife are at 85-90 percent.

4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

The Jacobsen mower Curry is referring too cannot self spin the reel in reverse in order to backlap the reel to bedknife.
    You would need a Foley backlap machine and coupler to backlap appropriately.
    One question not asked that is very important is the blade count on the reel and what type of bedkife.
    Is it 7, 9 or 11/tournament, standard or rough?

5. curry

curry LawnSite Member

You ask some tough questions. I just learned how to post pics so they may answer some questions. I know I paid alot more than Im asking. I want to buy a new commercial push mower for my wife to use.

Picture 006.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

Picture 008.jpg

Picture 009.jpg

6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

That is a late 90's early 2000 PGM 22 greens mower with what appears to be an 11 count reel. Front groomer roller is pretty much standard as is the split rear drum. These sob's are heavy and depending upon how you have the governor set, are among the fastest walk behind greens mowers available. To couple the back lapping machine to the unit, unbolt the cover on the left side of the reel shaft, it is - if my memory serves correctly, a 9/16" sized head on the shaft. The Foley back lap units take 1/2" drive sockets.

7. curry

curry LawnSite Member

Sounds like you know alot about it. It sure isnt a cheap McLanes. Thanks for the info. Whats your opinion on them?

8. curry

curry LawnSite Member

Ive reduced this thing to $1000. Thats a very good price for this machine. Need to get this thing out of my shop. Let me know if you are interested. I may be willing to meet halfway.

9. curry

curry LawnSite Member

How about $950