Jacobsen F 10

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andyinchville, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

Hi,

I'm about to buy an older Jacobsen F10
    mower....I was wondering if anybody
    out there knows when I could get additional info on this machine....I have looked on the net and haven't been able to find alot of info on this machine....Even Jacobsen themselves have very little info they could send me on this machine.
    Thanks
    Andrew

2. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

What is the F 10? I had a jake but can't remember the model.

3. Andyinchville

It is a Front wheel drive rear steer tractor
    with 7 ground driven cutting reels mounted in such a way that individual
    reels can be hydraulically lifted or lowered.
    Cutting with with all reels down is approximately 15 feet.

4. Royalslover

Sorry, I can't be of help on that. My jake was a 6' rotary front deck. I had the same mower in a toro and I was a lot more impressed with the Toro but the Jake might have just been a little more tired. if you don't mind me asking, what are you going to cut with the reel?

5. Andyinchville

Hi,

I don't have anything specific to cut with it yet....the machine I think is priced so low that I just couldn't resist getting something so big for so little.....

I''m going to try to find some large jobs to use it on....I'll eventually get a Toro 580 D
    (16' rotary) and will use the F 10 as the
    back up large area mower.....

I guess it is more or less planning for the future.....I'm sure the neighbors will like
    my new lawn ornament ;-)

Andrew

6. Royalslover

Just my two cents, but I don't think that reels will cut anything that is too tall. I could be very wrong. I also think of sharpening all those cutting surfaces. I totally understand your desire for "something big for so cheap'' If you could hook up with a big toro rotary now that would be something.

7. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Your local Jacobsen dealer should have complete parts list (It will probably be on their parts computer). If you're not experienced with adjusting reels, do yourself a favor and take it to a Jacobsen dealer to have the reels checked over. Better yet, try to get it inspected before you buy. I used to work for a Jacobsen dealer. A lot of the old machines that came in like yours were better off going to a scrap dealer

8. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

I used to run one of those old dinosaurs about 10 yrs ago on the golf course they were designed to cut fairways.....It was big and clumsy the reels were high maintenence and dont cut long grass very well. Check with some golf courses that use Jac equipment lots of them do. I promise you you'd be better off with a rotary mower.
    I cant believe some of those f-10s are still kickin.

9. Andyinchville

Hi All,

Thanks for the input and advice....I'm expecting delivery of the machine in a bout 2 hours....I kinda feel like a kid at christmas!......I'm not too familiar w/ reels but I hear they can give a good cut on grass if it is regularly maintained. I wish I could remember seeing some tall grass in my neighborhood....I'd love to see it actually cut something!.....I did get a call from A Jac dealer....Based on the serial # I gave him it was built between 1971 and 1975.......Yup still alive and kickin after all these years....I suppose it is still a youngster compared to my 1951 8n ........I'm still looking for that elusive good deal on a used 580 D
    tho!........I'm not sure how to do it but I'll try to put a pic on here for you all....

Andrew

10. Most F-10 had fairway reels ( 6 or 7 bladed reel, several inches smaller than rough reel) installed, but you can put a larger diameter, rough reel ( 10 in ? ), 5 bladed reel in

@ 1986, I purchased a used f-10, with rough reels installed, removed the reels and purchased toro 7 bladed fairway reel on Jac F-10

Parh districts used the F-10 with rough reels

Locale Jac dealer is G.L. Corrnell out of richmond, va, or Gaithsburg, maryland