Jammed F250 tailgate

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by WhohasHelios?, Jun 11, 2005.

1. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

Have had quite a few problems with my tailgate on a 91 F250. In the past they have always been easy to fix, replacing the little plastic clips on the lift handle etc etc.

This time one of the actual latching mechanisms seems to be stuck in lock.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

-Reuben

2. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

When you say stuck in lock, is the tailgate stuck in the closed position and you can't pull the latch to release?

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to have this problem with an 80s Chevy. It was always just one side. I ended up finally bending the handle, which made things worse. I always ended up with a big screw driver from the inside trying to pry it a bit! It always sucked when that happened, never at home!

4. WhohasHelios?

Yeah stuck closed and unable to open. Its happened in the past, but it has always been a mechanical break in the linkage inside the gate.

I have tried prying, doesnt seem to budge...And it is only on one side from what i can tell.

Very annoying..

5. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Have you tried lifting up on each lower corner of the tailgate while pulling the latch. Sometimes the bushings on the pivot point wear out and cause the gate to bind to the point the latch can't be moved.

6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

there should be a panel that you can unscrew from the front of the tailgate to access the linkages etc, I've had to do itbefore, throw some lube on it. :)
    Hopefully that will solve the problem.

7. WhohasHelios?

Thanks for the posts everyone.

It ended up being the mechanism that latches on the outside of the gate itself. The linkage was fine. We had to cut it off with a torch to get the damn thing open.

I will use it one sided until i get to the dealer to replace the mechanism

Thanks again

-Reuben