Jan Moyer Lighting Institute

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by designer1, Aug 17, 2009.

1. designer1

designer1 LawnSite Member
    from midwest

After googling landscape lighting design programsI came across her website.

Has anyone ever attended, if so is it worth it?

I have attended several mfgs seminars only to find them pushing their own products.

I am looking for a real learning experiance not just a 2 day commercial

2. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

I have never attended but everyone I know who has has absolutley loved it! It is highly reccomended.

If you are looking for more of a technical than design course we are offering training courses through The LITE Program. visit www.TheLiteProgram.com or let me know if you ave any questions!

3. Tomwilllight

Tomwilllight LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Designer 1,

I'm one of the faculty for the Landscape Lighting Institute and I assure you will find the experience completely different from any manufacturer's classes.

You will be working with many different manufactures' equipment, not just one. Only with Jan will you have the opportunity to do hands on comparison of a wide variety of equipment.

But the big difference is that this institute is focused on Design... Not the technical.

Jan Moyer is the author of THE LANDSCAPE LIGHTING BOOK and is certainly one of the finest landscape lighting designers working today.. if not the best. As a participant, you will join a group who, together, will select a portion of Dog Park's garden to light in during the session. The last evening we invite the public in to see what the groups have achieved.

Dog Park is Jan's home, office and garden. In the last 10 years, Jan has created a living laboratory for landscape lighting. Nothing like exists anywhere else.

Don't expect to catch up on your sleep, class meets in the morning for workshop and discussion, the afternoons are usually working with your group on your design and then in the evening, we look at the lighting. It's a hands on and work very hard experience.

If you are interested, you should give Jan a call and talk to her about what are her goals for the students.

Tom Williams

BTW: I was Jan's student during the 1st LSLInstitute and the experience opened the door for me.

4. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

5. msouthard

msouthard LawnSite Member

Jan's class is around $2500, I think. I emailed Jan about two weeks ago and they had one slot open for the September course. We are sending one person as we have hear nothing but good things about the course. I think the course is full now and they are not doing the October one but Tom can clarify.

6. Tomwilllight

Tomwilllight LawnSite Senior Member

I'm flat out with the move to Portland and completing my existing contracts on the East Coast. It's best for you to contact Jan directly. Her office phone is: 518-235-4756.

Tom

7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I looked at all the classrrom group photo's from 2008, and i am sure you guys will throw rocks at me, but I cannot ever recall doing a demo or installing lighting like the training groups set up. most of the up lights are set 15-40 feet away from the drip line of the huge trees and basically flood the outside canopy with what has to be 35-50 watt flood lights. I also am not too sure about flooding the surface of the pond with the 5-6 bullets mounted on 2 foot stems. It is quite possibly the most dark-sky unfriendly photo's I have ever seen. where are the cool moonlighting effects? where are the text book uplighting of cool upswept branches from under the tree to create neat shadowing and light within the tree? Am I missing something here? When did massive number of floodlights shining ON 30-60 foot trees become expert light design?

8. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

David,
    perhaps cutting your own path is always better than trying to ride in the groove of someone else. I like my stuff better than a lot of what I see from the "experts".

9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

It all depends on what your client wants and the site. Everyone has thier own style. I have lost jobs because a client liked the way 250w sodium lights looked better than our mellow low voltage lighting. They also figured they could get 3 sodium lights and be "done" vs my proposed 50 fixtures. Likewise I have taken jobs from multi-state based larger firms because they did not offer the attention to detail nor the subtle effects I do with my downlights. Huge diff between merc vapors and a 20-35w downlight.

10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Ok, maybe I am not so off then. I just really expected a landscape lighting institute, for 2500 bucks for 5 days, that teaches design would be more in line with what I love to see- really well placed uplighting and downlighting, use of shadow, etc. there are several nice statues and trees in the pictures, I really expected 4 different ways to create effects in the photo's rather than just plant a light in front or above.