janitor, in a tuxedo?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 31, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if you see a janitor, wearing the standard janitor uniform, mopping the floor, you view him, as a janitor, correct? if you saw the janitor, wearing a tuxedo, mopping the floor, would you view him differently? you see your garbage man, at least weekly. he is dressed, like a garbage man, he empties the cans. now, if you saw your garbage man, dressed in a tuxedo, would you think of him differently? to me, he's still, only the garbage man. NOW, if i get to talk to him, and his personality is splendid, i may, change my opinion, but until then, he still only looks, like the garbage man. correct?

2. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

What if the garbage man wears a janitors uniform and mows lawns? Anyhow, I think your trying to illustrate your point of the over-image concerned overhead bloated lco's, so,I'll bite, where are you going with this?

3. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

Image is definately overvalued by most residential LCO's. Being reliable, effectively communicating with the customer and doing an acceptable job are the keys. My honest opinion is that the professional image works against you at least as often as it helps. You show up to mow my lawn with pretty clothes, equipment and new trucks....I know I'm paying too much!

4. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

There is a certain image to exude, and it has nothing to do clothes and it doesn't cost anything.

5. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I dont get to see my garbage man, I'm out working in the daytime when he comes. I know he was here though because the cans are empty..... unless it was the garbage gnomes....

As far as what he wears.... I think a tuxedo would be overkill, but a shirt and tie would be amusing.

My take on the image deal: This has been addressed in many sales type books, but different classes of people respond to different "dress codes". Some respect a well dressed professional, and others will distrust one. You should read up on it and match your style accordingly.

Kevin

6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree to a certain degree.i usually dont care what you wear as long as it dosent put any1 down.when ever you express your views publicly whether on a shirt or a sticker on your equipment someone maybe your best customer will see it.they may even take offence to it and drop you.my wife is a manager at a local seafood bar/liquor bar and deals directly with elite public figures so if we are just bumming around in bumming clothes she will not go into town because she dosent want to be seen not at her best.sometimes image can make or break you.

7. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

image is nothing... obey your thirst! :cool2:

8. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I just picked up a new account today based on image. There current guy had a poor one, oil leaking dilapidated truck, equipment that would break down in the middle of a job, etc.. etc.... (And this is not a scrub operation either, it is a rather large company in the area... and no, not Tru Green). They called me and I talked to them for almost an hour in person about their current needs and my solutions to them. In my well maintained '97 Chevy truck (not new, sure, but no rust and no leaks), and my company logo'd T-Shirt, and my professional looking contract, etc.. etc... No, it did'nt require a suit & tie, but certainly the professional image of having it together and having equipment that will do the job without breaking down was a major factor in their decision to drop their current LCO and choose me. As a result, I was able to land the deal for fert, and am wide open for taking the mowing from their other LCO (he had 2, 1 mow, 1 fert). And, have a 80% chance of getting a big overseeding job from him as well (he runs a business, he said if he couldnt get enough downtime from his employees to have them do it, then he would hire me to do it).

You may not NEED image to land EVERY account, but its not a bad thing to have on your side.

Kevin

9. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

also though, some people want cheap. are they going to call someone with a old ragety truck, or brand new truck and enclosed trailer?

they will call the old truck first, then the new one.

however, imo. around here more people want good quality work, not just cheap.

heck i got 4 new lawns this week, and im getting more than the previous guy

10. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

uniforms give you control over the employee you set the guide lines