Jap Beetles

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cgaengineer, Jun 24, 2008.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Looking for beetle control on my roses and came across Neem Oil...does it work? I cannot stand the way my roses look after they attack them but at the same time I don't want to kill all the beneficial insects like lady bugs and bees. If it comes down to removal of the roses thats what I will do.

2. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I got a product in just the other day and is basically neem oil. I haven't had a chance to get it in a sprayer and applied but I plan on doing that this week. I have talked with some other people involved in some research who said a product should be out next year I believe.

3. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Neem (Triact 70) I do use....But not on roses as it will injure the Flowers.

Stick with a good rotation of Conserve, Merit, Orthene for the roses.

Neem Oil WILL also kill benificials if it contacts them. If it does not contact them, it acts as an Repellent as well as an anti-Feedant.

The Neem tree is High in Terpanoids.

Roses need a spray program......Stick with "Pesticides" that won't hurt the roses.

Or remove them.

What a shame.

I like Roses.

Pete

4. DeepGreenLawn

My aunt said seven seems to work well for her. She said she didn't treat them last year because they stayed away and they were back this year. Said if she treated again this year they it should be good to go the next year. She said to do it foliar and down on the ground as well.

5. cgaengineer

Seven does work...but it kills bumble bees and honey bees...I will get rid of the roses before I start killing everything...I will plant more lantana instead!

6. cgaengineer

The neem oil seems like the ticket...spray in the evening when the bees are safe in their homes. I dont want to sound like a tree hugger, but damn I hate killing the good stuff...we needs bees!

7. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

just watch application if its going to be hot might fry them..

8. DeepGreenLawn

That was my concern as well, I had a feeling it would take out everything. The "study" that I read on neem oil said it didn't effect the good guys as they didn't eat the plants. Also, it didn't effect the plant as long as it was applied correctly. The lady said she made a second treatment one time too soon and noticed some wilting. She had used a product rather than straight neem oil so that is what I got. $10 for a little "cup" of the stuff but it is suppose to make about 5 gal. so I guess the numbers will work out. If it does work, and this other stuff doesn't come out on schedule I am seeing money next year.

9. cgaengineer

Any info on this new product that you can share?

10. DeepGreenLawn

sorry, I have been sworn to secracy