Jap Beetles

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cgaengineer, Jun 24, 2008.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Not even a tidbit of information for a fellow Georgian...a neighbor...a friend...you know, the type of person who would give you the shirt off his back!

2. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

The names are a lot of big hard to pronounce words...

LOL, I promise if I could I would. I don't want to put anything between me and this other person. They are a huge help and source of information. As soon as I get word that the product is out I will try to remember to let you know.

3. cgaengineer

Sounds good...let me know...I am sick of these little rascals and maybe I will wait to remove my roses until next year.

4. DeepGreenLawn

I know what you mean. Mine got hit last year, this year they looked GREAT, they got hit again but they still look OK. They are a lot bigger and stronger but I still need to do something. I am also going to put out traps strategically around my property away from my roses. Everyone says you attract more than you catch so I am hoping if the traps are far enough away from the bushes they will just go to the traps.

If I can find them cheap enough I thought I might add that as a bonus for my customers. Throw one or two around their property. I saw one customer who had a trap hanging on their fence, no bushes for them to chew on in the back yard at all and it was half full.

5. cgaengineer

The thing is...even if they attract that is one less beetle that will be making grubs in my lawn. I also heard it was a myth that they attract more but not sure about it.

6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Theres a new rose called Knockout, its supposed to be deaease and bug resistant.

Ive never herd of Neem oil. I really dont think you can grow hybrid roses in the South unless you use a whole lot of chemicals.

I once had a rose garden or over 50 roses. It was late fall and frost was to come in a couple of weeks. After nursing the roses all summer, many chemicals,pruning etc. they were in full bloom. I was on my way to work and looked at them and it looked like the cover of one of those fancy garden magazines. Well when I got home from work not one single bloom left, not even a bud, the dear ate every single flower, I was really poed, because it I knew they would not bloom again that year.

the nest year i replace the roses its now a Topiary garden. It give a better year round look anyway.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Always go with a systemic. Lesco carries a new product called CoreTect, made by Bayer. It is imidicloprid, but it contains many micronutrients, as well, and longer lasting for the feeding. It works out to about 50 cents a dose. There are homeowner products such as Bayer's rose care, which is a liquid form of imidicloprid available at HD and other stores. It is rather cheap to use, and is fully effective. I do NOT recommend sevin for roses, for a regular treatment. It doesn't last, and was stated before, does harm to many beneficials - let alone opens the door for mites.

8. cgaengineer

Thats funny you mention that about the knock outs...they have had very little beetles on them. I may just replace the other roses with knockouts.

9. cgaengineer

I think I will try this Runner, thanks for the heads up.

10. DeepGreenLawn

All I have are knockouts, but so does everyone else in the nieghborhood. They have been great, started out slow but the year after I planted them they have taken off. I pruned them back pretty hard earlier this year, thought I was too late, already had blooms, but they have come back and look even better. They have gotten to be about 4' by 4'. Over taking the bed I put them in so I am having to keep them cut back. I have had no problems with diseases but the beetles are still a major pain.

It makes since that the traps would attract more beetles. They use a pherenome(spelling ?) that attracts them. I agree though that it still makes a difference. I am sure I would have bags and bags of the guys if I put them out. I am going to try and pick some up tomorrow.