Japanese beetle invasion

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mikesturf, Jul 23, 2008.

1. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

In the past 10 days (mid July) I have seen a massive amount of Japanese beetles (NW Suburbs of Chicago). Also over the past 6 weeks I have seen what seems like record amounts of masked chafers. Last fall our area had very bad grub damage and all those grubs are now adult beetles and in the upcoming weeks/months will be laying a dozen eggs per beetle, resulting in a much worse grub problem this fall. So far we have had lots of moisture-ideal of the eggs to hatch. I'm going to be buying some extra Dylox in anticipation. Anyone else experiencing lots of beetles flying around???

2. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

They are showing up fairly heavy here as well in NE Ohio. Seems heavier than last season as i know i drive down a road and they are pinging off the windshield way more than i've ever seen. They have skeletized the leaves on my birch unlike ever before, in fact they usually never bothered it much in the past.

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like an opportunity to do some marketing and get some spray business. there are a couple different types of bacillus (popliae sp?, thurengensis) that are very effective long term with the larvae, it will not kill the adults just the grub stage. It is a very safe thing to apply

The best part is you should do whole areas do get control in a neighborhood, you could go to the associations and make an argument that the entire neighborhood should begin applications for next year which should be even worse than this year as the adults lay eggs.

Just the loss of shrubs from the infestation could cost justify it

4. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Seeing high numbers of both Mike, near the race track. Elm Flea Weevils are big problem too in this neighborhood.

5. ICT Bill

Here is a list of the ones that they control, this is more for Ag but the same ones are in turf they just don't eat the crop like in Ag

Insects Controlled by Bt

Kurstaki strain

Vegetable insects
    Cabbage worm (cabbage looper, imported cabbageworm, diamondback moth, etc.).
    Tomato and tobacco hornworm.

Field and forage crop insects
    European corn borer (granular formulations have given good control of first generation corn borers).
    Alfalfa caterpillar, alfalfa webworm.

Fruit crop insects
    Leafroller.
    Achemon sphinx.
    Tree and shrub insects
    Tent caterpillar.
    Fall webworm.
    Leafroller.
    Red-humped caterpillar.
    Spiny elm caterpillar.
    Western spruce budworm.
    Pine budworm.
    Pine butterfly.
    Sod web worm

Israelensis strains

Mosquito.
    Black fly.
    Fungus gnat.

6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

The JB's have been getting worse, much worse in the last couple of years in the midwest. It's rare that I see one here. Masked chafers and oriental beetles are more prevalent here, but they don't feed as flying adults like the JB.

I honestly think that the midwest states should embark upon a free milky spore program. I know, I know, but milky spore WILL work, IF more than 60% of the land is treated for two years, and the tree huggers can't whine about pesticides, as it's organic.... oh praise the Lord!

JB's were at an intolerable level back in the 60's on LI. I remember EVERY single dad was out there applying milky spore. Rose bushes were nearing extinction.... but EVERYONE applied, and within 2 years they were all but gone. The key is that at least 60%, or more of the available turf gets treated. These days, only a government give away and ad campaign could do what the home owners on LI did on their own back in the sixties....

7. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Its been very quiet on the beetle front here in south east massachusetts, last year was also very light here.

8. ICT Bill

In the mid atlantic they have been very light as well almost nonexistant