Japanese Beetle Repellent?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by reiterch, May 27, 2008.

1. reiterch

reiterch LawnSite Member
    from PA

What would you guys recommend spraying on my trees and rose bushes to keep the japanese beetles from doing too much damage?

I'm a homeowner, so something stocked at Home Depot or Lowes would be easiest.

The beetles have been terrible the last two seasons, total hell on my plum tree.
  2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

There is no repellent for Japanese Beetle adults. The insecticides Sevin and Bonide Eight give short term control of beetles that are feeding on the tree, usually a few days at best.
  3. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Suspend SC ,Crosscheck or any bifenthrin product. apply ever two to three weeks depending on insect pressure. however, you will find no such product at Home Depot, so I would recommend contacting a lawn care professional .
  4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Ortho's Malathion will help control them, but be prepared to apply it weekly, and then it's only control.... not eradication.
  5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Season Long Tree and Shrub Insect control by Bayer. This is imidacloprid, a systemic insecticide applied to the roots of the trees and shrubs. If you have lots of trees and shrubs to treat, it might be worth getting a professional to apply Merit. On spraying trees and shrubs: I have yet to meet a DIYer with good spray equipment unless he is also a farmer with a 50 or 100 gallon power sprayer. I love the acid-tongued answer given by my friend when people ask, "what do I spray my trees with?" "A power sprayer..........................." What follows that is usually imprintable.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Best answer of this thread.....
  7. kappa915

kappa915 LawnSite Member

Call a professional and use merit as a preventative and crosscheck as contact.
  8. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

you to late for a soil drench application of merit, or the Bayer product. takes up to two months to translocate from the root zone to the leaves.