1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Japanese beetles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Davis TLC, Jul 21, 2000.

1. We are having a real bad problem with Japanese beetles this summer. They are currently eating up the roses and crepe myrtles. What do you suggest to control them? Are there any good systemic insecticides that could be used in the future to control them?<br>Thanks for your replies.<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/dtlc/&quot;&gt;Rich@Davis Total Lawn Care&lt;/a&gt;<br>
  2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Rich, I know your looking for a pesticide, and I can't help ya out with that, but I've used a product called a beetle bag ( I think thats what its called) Its a green and white bag kind of contraption that you can hang from a tree or put on a small stand behind shrubs, etc, and the bag will literally fill up with beetles within days. It keeps them all in one area, and then it would be easier if you had to spray them. After we dumped about 6 bags from our yard, the rest got the hint and most took off.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
  3. Guido the problem with the pheramone (sp)<br>traps is the on catch about 10% of the beatles they attract to your homesite.<p>So where are the other 90%?
  4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

by the time you see the beetles the damage is done. Best to eliminate them at the source (grub control).<p>I have been told that the traps attract far more beetles than the roses grapes etc would on their own, and only trap a small percentage of a much larger total (like stone says).<p>As a kid my Father used to send us out in the grape arbor with a coffee can with an inch of kerosene in the bottom, our job was to flick the beetles from the leaves into the can. Labor intensive but it did the job if you spent a hour a day at it. For a 7-year old it was fun watching the suckers try to swim their way out.<p>Bill
  5. EDL

EDL LawnSite Member
    from MA

Lawarence and Bill are right, that the traps in fact attract more beetles than if nothing was done, also the traps, trap the beetles that have already done the damage and are looking to mate. Tom