Japanese "Bloodgood" Maple's

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Trkcat_Ga, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Trkcat_Ga

Trkcat_Ga LawnSite Member

Have 4 Japanese maples that are freshly planted about 10-12 ft from each other and they are about 6ft in height. Question would be are they planted to close and should they be replanted and respaced.

I know they grow 15-20 ft in height and about 10-15 ft wide but does that constitute a need for replanting. Im not to sure and after being asked I would like to have a better idea of a good answere since the price on just the trees was about $750.

Thanks for the help

2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

You didn't buy them wholesale did you? What size container are they in? I Think They will be alright, its close enough. If you are not Ok with the spacing go with your gut and respace them to the recomended length apart.

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't worry about it. They grow realitivly slow anyways.

4. Trkcat_Ga

No I didnt buy them wholesale and they look like they must have been 15gal but I cant say for sure. I wasnt the one who did the install but I will be the one who will have to care for them. Im not sure but the recommended spacing for these isnt much more than 10ft, maybe a little more?

5. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Spacing is fine if you keep them trimmed to grow full and upward.....I have seen some Japanese Maples that are over 40 years old that are as tall as 25 feet, and 40 plus feet wide. IMO, Japanese Maples are by far one of the best looking trees someone can plant.

6. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll be fine with some good pruning... I'd like to see a pic of that- a Japanese Maple is usually used as a singular specimen, not "rowed up"

7. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

yeh never seen maples lined up like that. i like them as singles. and $750??? wow...

8. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Our 15 Gal Bloodgoods run 69.50 each.

9. Trkcat_Ga

I dont have the full story behind them but from what I know they are transplants. They arent in the best of shape right now but I was told they paid $200-$300 a piece for each 15gal about 7 months ago. A total of 110 trees were purchased and 80 of them removed and transplanted after the 7 months. Only about 68 made it after being removed.

All the trees have been relocated to commercial property except 6 and these are three of them. The 4th one is planted in a seperate area. I'll see what I can do about pic's of the ones that have been relocated and "lined" up. I think they were lined in two rows and staggered in various locations.

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Yah, my thoughts exactly. I would never ever plant 4 bloodgoods in a row. In fact, I would rarely recommend having more than one in the same yard. They are specimens. They are meant to be a stand-alone showcase tree, not in groups. It just ain't right.

I think it would be wise to find another home for 3 of them. Until you are able to; they will be fine for a while spaced like that. They grow quite slowly.