Japanese Maple.. not red?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by scraper69, Aug 4, 2005.

1. scraper69

scraper69 LawnSite Senior Member
    from mi

I HAVE installed a nice jap maple last year in a customers landscape and its somewhat red.. NOt bright red, some greenish to it, Anyway, the customer doesnt like it now. Wants it really red. I said to her that not all are bright red all season and it really doesnt get all day sun. Mostly shade. Any suggestions to passify this lady?

2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

There are a bunch of varieties of Japanese maples, some are redder than others. Maybe you have a variety that is not naturally really red. Possibly, there is a soil condition that is causing the tree to be more green than red (if the tree was red when it was installed). If its a soil condition, that can be usually remedied once you determine the cause.

3. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

I have seen some Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood' grown in the shade that had less colour and tints of green ... There isn't much you can do except replace the tree ..I unfortunately have been in the same situation ... youo might have Acer p. variety Shindeshojo it's characteristics are Bright red in spring; retains for about a month; turns to reddish green; red and orange fall color... if you had a pic of the tree and leaf I'm sure I could ID it for you ... c

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

It is not the plant. It is the shade that is the problem.

5. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Mine is red in the spring and in the fall. During the summer it is green. It is somewhat shaded until about noon

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Did she ask for a really bright red Jap Maple before you planted this one?If not and she just asked for a Jap Maple
    It's on her not you.There are so many in different types that you do have to study before planting.Shade and sun will make a diff but these tree's are ment for part shade anyway so it wouldent make THAT much of a diff.If you need to pacify her she needs to pay you to do so.Changing a tree just because it is not exactly what was wanted should not be concidered a problem you should have to eat.

7. OrganicBob

OrganicBob LawnSite Member

I did a root zone soil injection of fertilizer for a red japanese maple once and it turned bright green. I don't fert them anymore because of it. I have several varieties in my own yard, some green, some red, some dark, some bright, and some that are mostle green with red tips. Laceleafs are predominantly green (though I've seen red ones), Tridents - green. Lots of others.

8. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

It is the location thats the problem. Jap Maples that are planted in shadey areas notoriously turn a greenish color. It's not getting enough sun to maintain it's bright color. If she wants the plant there then she will not have a bright red Jap Maple. Can't argue with Mother Nature!

Chris

9. scraper69

scraper69 LawnSite Senior Member
    from mi

thanks.... I figured it was a shade issue. I will just tell her its not gettin enough sun. If she wants to replace,,,, it will only be the same. Correct?

10. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Correct!

Chris