1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Japanese Maple Problem

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by procut, Jul 15, 2008.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a Japanese Maple that I'm told has been established about 8 to 10 years. Each year it starts out great, but come about June, many of the leaves discolor and look "dried out" or "dead" We're in zone 5, but the tree is realitivly protected during the winter months on the north side of the house. Any ideas on what exactly this is and/or what could be done to remidy it? Thanks!

japmaple1.jpg

2. procut

A better view...............

japmaple2.jpg

3. Merlin300

Merlin300 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

Do you have pic of the whole tree and the surrounding landscape?

4. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

was this transplanted from another place or planted there from day one?

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

It looks like salt burn to me. Does it get any effluent water? If it is salt burn try some citric acid or some of bills organic teas.

6. h400exinfl

h400exinfl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Are they watering from above in the hot sun?

7. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Mine got burned by some salty air and looks just like that. Thought it was protected enough but we had a storm and it turned out looking likr this. The new leaves are ok.

8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I have the same exact problem, however the tree is really mature, and about 20-25ft tall.
    Limbs are dying, rapidly too. Anything I can do? Last year it looked great, this year it looks terrible.

9. procut

It was transplanted from the east cost, (Possibly New Jersey) so I am told. Its in a residential setting, and I don't believe there is any salt used on the drive in the winter.

Tomorrow I'll get a pic of the whole tree and suroundings.

10. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

How about lack of water? Jap Maples in sunny or windy areas will exhibit these symptoms when there is not enough moisture available. The drought stress will predispose the tree to disease problems. Make sure the root zone is covered with mulch and water thoroughly once a week.