Japanese Maple Pruning... lets teach some of you.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by andyslawncare, Feb 1, 2012.

1. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

2. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

That tree looks pitiful and you're not teaching me anything I didn't already know. Now this might help the young kids just starting out. Is that a customers tree?

3. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

This tree is a new customer's tree. They bought the house at foreclosure. The reason for this post isn't to inform experienced people, but to help people that don't have a clue know what to look for. I'm tired of going to a job where branches have died back because of bad pruning cuts, and its important for people to know where to make the cuts, and what to look for. Yep, and the tree looks bad now, I know. It was 50% dead when we got there.

4. orangemower

from pa

Hopefully it will bounce back. Good luck with the new customer.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

That's pretty much the same way I do it. The problem I see with a lot of Japanese Maples isn't improper pruning, it's a lack of pruning. And when they do prune it's one branch here, one branch there, just like in your video. People are scared to death to touch these trees because of their cost. They're afraid if they cut the wrong branch the whole tree will just suddenly die off.

6. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member

Richard, I think they are scared to death to touch almost any tree/bush. :waving:
    I think two of the worse cases I have seen around here besides the J. Maples are boxwoods and rhododendrons.

7. OneLineAtATime

OneLineAtATime LawnSite Member

I have a client that has two, one on each side of her pouch. She has shaped/trimmed them for years with hedge trimmers like shrubs. Know we have been trying to re-train them back to trees. It's been rough, i'll have to find some pics to post

8. orangemower

from pa

9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

good post, always nice to see someone help out teh guys that dont know.