Jar Top valves versus regular tops?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I usually use Rainbird 100-DVF's, and they are good to me, though on occasion, I'll have to take the bonnet off and flush it out. In a crowded box, removing those screws can be a hassle.

Has anyone used the Rainbird 100-JTV valves? Are they pretty much the same as a DV but with a jar top? They don't seem to have a flow control model, which is dissapointing.

[​IMG]

2. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

dumb question, but when would you turn the flow down????

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Low flow systems can gain reliability by the throttling down of the control valves, done in much the same way that one would adjust the idle on a carburetor.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, turn it down and then back it off :)

It's also really really handy when your trying to flush out a solinoid with the main line pressurized :)

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't looked at the jar-top Rainbird valve, but I think there might be a gripe or two. I assume it uses a different diaphragm assembly, since the original has holes for the cover screws to pass through.

6. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't heard anything good or bad about the new RB jartop. The old toro jar top flo-pro's were junk. The new ones (thanks to that great investment in R&D buying Hardie) are amlost identical to the Irritrol 2400's except for color. I have always been a 2400 fan. I'm not sure when Hardie/irritrol/richdel made the first ones, but I would bet that a fair percentage of the very first ones are still functional. (More than 15 years, maybe 20?) The best part about a 2400 is buying the irritrol tool/wrench. As long as someone hasn't strong armend the top on at install, the wrench makes it SO easy to service. Even in a triple stack of econo's.

My biggest fear with the new RB jartop is it's a look alike, and not a true copy. It needs field testing, and all of us know how good those RB guys are at shoving stuff at us that will be a recall nightmare in a year or two.

7. Luke in Nebraska

Luke in Nebraska LawnSite Member

It's too bad that toro screwed up with the diaphram on that valve but thats all thats wrong with them. The new diaphrams work great also the wireless solenoids were a great idea. What a simple valve, only diaphram and spring. I have probably replaced a thousand of those diaphrams, but once that problem was solved I can't see much fault in them.

8. Luke in Nebraska

Luke in Nebraska LawnSite Member

And as for flow control the more pressure and volume the better. It's really nice to be able too add heads to a station without being worried if you are going to have enough water too do it. Nothing looks better than a 6 gal. nozzle with 50 psi behind it.

9. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

We use both Hunter and Rain Bird products and the JTV has been outstanding so far us this year unlike the Rain Bird rotors. I give the JTV two thumbs up, we were actually expecting some defects but have yet to see any. Remember we sell both systems and we have only used less then 400 JTV's this season but I think out of the 400 we have had only one or two that we replaced.

10. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

I have JTV's with flow control