Jax, FL

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by Qdriver, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Qdriver

Qdriver LawnSite Member

I will start operating in Feb. '04. I am looking for ANYONE in or around this area to talk to. I am starting alone part time, with a Toro 36'' w/b, Murry 21" push, Stihl trimmer,edger,hedger and backpack blower. Have not decided on type of hauler or trailer (budget is sparse) Thank You.

2. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

That's a good start...start marketing in March, Feb is usally my slowest month;)

3. Qdriver

Qdriver LawnSite Member

What are the actual off season months and what services do you offer during that time?

I would think the off season in N. Fl only lasts fr late Nov. to Late Jan.

Also, what is the most efficient way to get a sprayer license.

I want to add other services as soon as I can (I.E. irrigation, landscaping) But the city told me I have to work for a Lic. Irrigation contractor for a Yr B4 I could take the test! How can I work for someone else while I have my OWN business to run?!

4. goodbeus

December - February, my clients are on a 4 week schedule...if you have enough clients, you'll stay fairly busy...there's always clean-ups to do...also, contracts save you during the winter months as well...as for a spraying license, are you talking about a round-up license or pesticide license?...for round up, you have to be in business for 3 years, and then take and pass a test...think it's the same for pesticide, but not sure...as for working for an irrigation contractor to get licensed, I think you can take college courses instead...

5. Qdriver

Qdriver LawnSite Member

So as a start-up you are limited to basic maintenance, mowing edging and clean-ups?

Where could I find the courses on Irr. in this area?

I have some construction background. How about offering to build decks and/or portable sheds?

I have been told by some that people in Jax do not/will not agree to a contract. Others have told me Under no circumstances take a customer w/out a signed contract. what is the real deal here in Jax?

6. goodbeus

I started out doing nothing but mowing, trimming, edging, blowing, pruning hedges, and clean-ups...for the most part, I still do that minus the clean-ups and do extremely well...as for college courses, try UNF, JU, FCCJ, maybe some trade schools...don't know about irrigation, but I was told I could take courses for a pesticide license...as for contracts, if you do any landscaping, go with a contract...for basic maintenance, I let the client decide...I prefer contracts myself, but either way is fine with me, and it has worked out well...some people don't want a contract and they won't use you services if that's all you push for...i have a few like that I've serviced for 5 years now...

7. Qdriver

Qdriver LawnSite Member

Based on the information I have, my preliminary, (and I stress these are merely my first estimates based on limited info)
    figures show that for a sole operation (maybe a buddy now and then) Part-time to start, (weekends only) charging a min. $35-40 per site, at 30 minutes per site could generate $25-29k the first season. minus 50% for expenses (gas ,taxes,... ALL expenses) leaves 12-14k net.

9mths in the season - 72days (Sat&Sun)

out of an 8hr day - (minus travel time, etc) 5wrkg hrs

72x5=360 wrk'g hrs in the season

360x70 (av$perhr)=~25k-50%=$12,5
    360x80=~29k-50%=$14,5k

Does this sound reasonable to you? Or is there something big I am missing.(I am sure there is) This is only for the active season, not including income for Nov.-Feb. Again,...... these are just estimates with no REAL knowledge of the industry...... I am still trying to get as much info as I can to get these figures close to reality. Thank you

8. goodbeus

$35-$40 for 30 minutes with a 36", that price is a little high or you're going to spend more than 30 minutes on each job...imo, you're going to spend at least 45 - 60 minutes per lawn with a 36" mower...the price range you have is not for a postage stamp lawn, that's why I think it will take longer...and if it is, you're a little high...you'll prolly do 10 - 13 lawns per day, running solo...that's $700.00 for the weekend at $35.00 each job for 20 jobs...that's a realistic ballpark figure...

9. Qdriver

Qdriver LawnSite Member

Thanks Goodbeus,

So, using your figures of $700 weekend, there are ~36 weekends in the given season. That is $25,200. Minus 50% for all expenses, (is that a good figure to estimate) leaves ~$12,5

Again that is not including off season income.

What are some ways as a solo start-up, I can increase those numbers?

Thank you all for any advise.......

10. goodbeus

I came up with better figures that you CAN count on...$25.00 per lawn, 10 a day...1 hour per lawn, that's including travel time...if you pick up lawns more than $25.00, or neighbors, that's great, but these figures you can count on...you have a good foundation mower, a 36"...later on when you get slammed, buy a 52" Z, not a 48" or 60"...52" will be faster than the 48" and you can still get it through the same gate as a 48", a 60" is to big for residentials here...also the strongest blower will make a difference...those 2 are the best way to increase productivity...mower and blower...