jb weld a crack on engine block?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rogdogg, Mar 17, 2008.

1. rogdogg

rogdogg LawnSite Member

After buyin a cheap used ferris and replacing some things, I realized a real thin 1 1/2- 2 inch in length crack just below the engine balancer part on the engine block( I originally thought that part just needed to be tightened or a seal replaced). It does seep oil. Now, do I look to some expert welders($) (it's aluminum and all) or can jb weld do the job for a while? Proper application? Any little advice apreciated. I also have a line on a good cheap used simalar kawi,so a temp fix might be ok.
  2. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

ericg likes this.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know man, I don't know...

Doesn't aluminum weld the same as brass pipes or copper radiators?
    With a mapp torch and solder?

I'd get a true welder's opinion, I think you're better off replacing the engine if you ask me but...
  4. rogdogg

rogdogg LawnSite Member

Thanks, I'm going to talk to an expert welder today and see if it's worth it. I'm not into the expense of a new engine right now.
  5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

The former owner must have had the same thought ... not into the expense, hence the selling price adjusted accordingly.

Do you think the owner knew of the problem and covered it? If so, he knew he was taking advantage, hoping nobody would see the problem. If he knew about the problem, and adjusted the selling price, he owed it to any buyer to point out the flaw.

Have you approached him with your findings? If so, was an explanation forthcoming? Or, was there a clear understanding, "as is?"
  6. rogdogg

rogdogg LawnSite Member

He was totally oblivious. He was horrible with maintenance in general. I'd call him out on it if I thought he was hiding the problem,believe me. The expert welder says it's not worth it- the time to take it apart and weld seeing as how the heat and expansion etc. wouldn't make a good weld. He says I'm better off to jb weld it and ride it out,keep patchin if crack gets worse till it croaks. I can have a good used engine ready to go for a good price. Cheers!:drinkup:
  7. carriedrewdog

carriedrewdog LawnSite Member

Clean the area really,really well. Spread JB Weld over the area, apply a fiberglass cloth patch and mop on more JB Weld.
  8. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

One of my neighbors didn't get antifreeze in his Yanmar cast iron block in time three years ago because he was in Wyoming hunting. He is a pipewelder/structural welder and works with CuNi alloy and other strategic metals. He knows the field of welding pretty good and has worked on submarines.

He used a small angle grinder to gouge out the foot long crack in the side of the block, but didn't grind completely through. He JB welded it and it has been holding for three years. I asked him about the rods made for repairing cast iron and he said JB weld would be more reliable. He had the option of welding it himself, but used JB. He is on 6 or 7 12's and rooming 40 miles away so don't see him much.
  9. rogdogg

rogdogg LawnSite Member

Sounds good to me,cus thats what I'll be doin! I'm over the stress and hopin for the best!!!
  10. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

i cracked the bottom of the engine case on a 4 stroke dirt bike when i was younger.. i used jb weld and it held it for at least two years to my knowledge because i sold it.. but i wouldn't be surprised if its still sealing that crack today.. jb is good stuff..