JB Weld Removal???

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by baldbeefman, Jan 15, 2002.

1. baldbeefman

baldbeefman LawnSite Member

The prior owner of my Harley, JB Welded the alluminum gas tank. Is there an easy way to get this crap off? Thanks...

2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think there is really an easy way to get that JB Weld off, especially if it's adhering well to begin with.

Was this used to change the tank's contours or repair a dent(s)? I'm assuming that the paint has been stripped at this point, I think the JB Weld should be a darker colour (grey) than the aluminum.

Depending on how much has been plastered on the tank, v-e-r-y carefully removing it with a die grinder may be the only way to get it off.

Would a replacement tank be a realistic option?

BTW, what model Harley? I'm (impatiently :D ) waiting for mine right now: FXR-based custom with Springer front end. About 90% complete, last major part needed is a clutch hub.

3. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

First price a tank then go from there.

4. Smoker26

Smoker26 LawnSite Member

Baldbeefman

A wire brush on a 4 inch grinder and apply with light pressureon the aluminum. The wear factor is similar but the aluminum is slightly harder. Good luck.

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

The one time I had to remove it I was amazed at how strong it was.

I don't like to use it as I feel it is not a correct repair but a patch, however I do have some in my box and have used it a couple times to get me through until a new part arrived. One such repair was 3 years ago and I never ordered the part. Still working perfectly.

6. micromike

micromike LawnSite Member
    from SW/PA

I worked in a bodyshop as a painter for several years maybe I can help.

It's already been asked, was this a repair? Dent, leak, structural? Did he gob it on and it needs to be smoothed out? Depending on the problem, will make a difference in your approach.

Get ahold of a dremel tool and carefully grind it out or down flush and finish with typical bodyputty if needed. There are many bits/sanders etc. with the Dremel that will help you complete the job.

If it was used to repair a leak you will have to grind it all out and have it welded.

At any rate, the Dremel is probably the most versatil tool for the job.

Good Luck

7. baldbeefman

baldbeefman LawnSite Member

Thnaks for your help. I took the tank to a good welding shop. (It had a hairlline crack along the bottom on each side and was starting to get small cracks in the jb weld and leak. The welding shop is going to grind it off with the wire brush side of the bench grinder to get it off and then reweld it with an alluminum welder. I think its going to look good. My bike was appraised in 1996 (Quick Throttle Magazine) for $40,000. I wish I could get half that for it now. Anyway, I can't believe the previous owner just slapped some JB Weld on the bottom of the tank. It's like Einstein once said, "there are only two things I know of which are infinate, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the latter."

8. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

it stinks if you try and burn it off:confused:

9. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

Yep. That JB weld stuff is pretty hard to get off! By the way, 75, my Dad's got a Harley. It's a Wide Glide. Very nice!