Lawn Care Forum banner

JCB Skid Steers

29K views 57 replies 11 participants last post by  jbailey52 
#1 ·
http://www.jcb.com/products/MachineOverview.aspx?RID=12

Has anyone any knowledge or experience with them??

JCB has been in the skid steer business for years (rubber tire and tracked). And they were at the Techo showcase in MD last week. I chated with the sales guys at length and I sat in one. I didnt start it up.

What I really like is the side door entrance (see link above)! That was nice, just like a crawl loader! Now, I'm not in full agreement of JCB's claim that the side door access is as safe as they promote. The side door access is very nice, but I'm not sold on the safety aspect that JCB is claiming.

JCB says their machine has the best visibility on the market, not so sure I'd completely agree. My old Gehl has awesome visibility. But JCB's visibility did seem to be rather good, much better than Cat & Takeuchi.

Like Deere, JCB uses their own engine in their skid steers. Cat, Bobcat, Gehl, and Takeuchi do not. JCB offers a 2 yr / 1000 hr warrantry, requiring NO oil samples, if it breaks they fix it, period.

I have no use for a brand new skid steer, so I'm not buying one. But I do like the concept of the JCB and I think I'll demo one for a couple days.

See less See more
#27 ·
What info are you using to compare the resale of JCB skid steers to others? Also I would think its hard to get a resale on the newer JCB skidsteers since they have been completely re-designed with now many used on the market. Used doesnt work for me. I plan on being in the business for a long time, and with 1.25% financing, 2 year warantee etc. New works best for me. I cant afford time or $$ to mess with repairs should they be needed.

#28 ·
It's hard to find used JCB skid steers for sale. So I'm not sure what ppl are basis the low resale value statements on.

Posted via Mobile Device

#29 ·
What info are you using to compare the resale of JCB skid steers to others? Also I would think its hard to get a resale on the newer JCB skidsteers since they have been completely re-designed with now many used on the market. Used doesnt work for me. I plan on being in the business for a long time, and with 1.25% financing, 2 year warantee etc. New works best for me. I cant afford time or $$ to mess with repairs should they be needed.
I buy and sell skid steers and mini excavators as a hobby... well maybe a little more than a hobby. Just my opinion so don't take it personal... I wouldn't touch a jcb to resell. Nobody wants them... even takeuchi and case don't have as strong of a resale value as Bobcat, Caterpillar, and John Deere even though they are arguably better machines.

I don't understand the need for a warranty when you can literally save 20k off of a new one by buying lightly used.

I just can't see how buying new ever truly pencils out. The warranty is a null point, because the money you save could replace the motor... twice. But much more likely will end up in your bank account. And with the quality of today's machines, you really aren't going to have problems until they are out of warranty anyway.

I usually dump my skid steers around 2000hrs and a jcb with 2000hrs is probably only going to be worth MAYBE 13-15k... 25k loss in my book.

I bought a TL140 with 600hrs the other day for 14k. I can probably run it up to 2500hrs and still sell it for a 14k after a few years of running it.

#30 ·
For me it works because like I said, I have no maintenance issues (hopefully) regardless of the amount of a repair, the down time is as if not more important (it will shut down multiple crews of my business landscape cant load material, hardscaping crew and also lawn crews) and you need to factor in purchasing options. Like I said I like paying a very low interest rate 1.25% is almost free, and I have much more cash flow then buying a used machine and either paying a much higher APR, or having less cash flow. None the less We will have the machine forever and the resell is a null point.

#31 · (Edited)
I am always surprised nobody likes my equipment ideas. I guess nobody has cash? I personally cannot stand to lose money... makes my damn skin crawl. Buying new to me is like lighting money on fire. I would rather tie up money in something rather than throw away 25k in payments over 3-4 years. Hell saving the difference between buying used is better than the banks are paying in a money market account.

I sold one guy a loaded 08 T320 with 74.0 hours and saved him 20k off of a new one. I sold another guy a Case 445ct with 110 hours and saved him 17k. I sold another guy a Bobcat 430 mini-x with 76.0 hours and saved him about 9k.

What is the difference between these machines and new one? Is the dealer going to pick up and drop off a machine when yours goes down under warranty?

#33 ·
Sometimes you gotta buy new. Either let
The money go to uncle sam or spend it on equipment.

I did come across a nice Deere CTL 322(?) for $27k, 500 hrs and the paint looked brand new, ad said garage kept. By
The time I called it was sold.
Posted via Mobile Device

#35 ·
I once caught a fish ......... This big.

I guess your ideas are smarter then everyone else. When I picked up My machine, Brickman had an order of 9 new machines... Someone should let them know also.
Yeah my ideas wont work for brickman or anyone that doesnt have cash. But i did sell several used isuzu nprs to yard works that has branches in multiple states and is prob close in the 10 mil gross range.
Posted via Mobile Device

#36 ·
Sometimes you gotta buy new. Either let
The money go to uncle sam or spend it on equipment.

I did come across a nice Deere CTL 322(?) for $27k, 500 hrs and the paint looked brand new, ad said garage kept. By
The time I called it was sold.
Posted via Mobile Device
I would rather pay the taxes. If you have a sh!tty acountant you will pay a max of 30% in the highest tax bracket. So you ate not really giving it all to the government and you are only saving 30% by taking the write off.

I just sold a 06 332 with ac 265hrs for 29k, the deals are out there.
Posted via Mobile Device

#38 · (Edited)
YOUR HIRED! Ha my how these threads can go down the tubes.

I dont know where I said I dont have the cash or I "need" the write off. When people debate a topic, they usually dont just put choose what words will make their point seem stronger. I prefer a new machine, Financed at a very low percent, full warranty... and most importantly, all Perdy and shinny! That way I can keep that good old safe full of the millions and millions of dollars!

Dont let this ruin your weekend :)

#39 · (Edited)
So you "need" the writeoff but cant pay cash? So you are effectively financing your taxes for the next 5 years? Do you do this every year? Seems like dangerous train to get on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Cept no where in the quote that youre responding to did bailey make any mention of how anything was paid for.
Posted via Mobile Device

#40 ·
As my quote
In my sig says "people throw rocks at things that shine"

And muddywater - if ppl Didn't buy new, u wouldn't have anything to sell.
Posted via Mobile Device

#43 ·
Said it was financed for 1.25% and you typically dont get good rates for terms shorter than 5 years
Your keyword I realize is "typically".

But you're not correct. I had a 0% note With CNH for 4 years. Fact is,
There is no such thing as 0% or even 1.5%. They bake the finance charge into the machine price. CNH didn't finance my machine for free, nothing is ever free, you pay one way or the other.
Posted via Mobile Device

#44 ·
Your keyword I realize is "typically".

But you're not correct. I had a 0% note With CNH for 4 years. Fact is,
There is no such thing as 0% or even 1.5%. They bake the finance charge into the machine price. CNH didn't finance my machine for free, nothing is ever free, you pay one way or the other.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's like people that trade their old stuff in and keep negotiating a higher price for the trade in. Meanwhile, it's getting tacked on the sale price.

#45 ·
It's strange how people just know how everything works for other people. Our 2 last duramax 2500's I bought new. 0% for 72 months. I got my pricing before they knew if I was paying cash or financing. I always go to 3 dealerships and tell them I am buying a truck, what's your best cash price. Hasn't wronged me yet.( except with the 6.0 ford diesel.... P.o.s.)

#46 ·
It's strange how people just know how everything works for other people. Our 2 last duramax 2500's I bought new. 0% for 72 months. I got my pricing before they knew if I was paying cash or financing. I always go to 3 dealerships and tell them I am buying a truck, what's your best cash price. Hasn't wronged me yet.( except with the 6.0 ford diesel.... P.o.s.)
My old man used to own a GMC truck dealership. See, the manufacturer's finance company work out all the details with the manufacturer behind the scene, prior to launching the program, and do not involve the dealer. Your transaction with the dealer has nothing to do with the 0% interest. This is why banks and credit unions don't offer 0% financing, they're not affiliated with the manufacturer and can't funnel the money in through the back door.

The finance companies are in business to make money, just like you and I are. They're all about numbers, and be assured - your loan isn't free. They're making a few hundred off of you

And you're correct, always get the vehicle price up front. No not even hint about trade in, or how you're going to pay for it. Infact, dealers like you to finance the deal, as they make money from writing the finance. Most dealer finance managers make no less than $150k / year. I had a buddy buy a 4-Runner, cash, OH that finance manager was furious because he didn't make a dime and he had to handle the final papers! He didnt say he was mad, but I could tell by his demeanor.

#47 ·
One of my friends owns a GMC dealership and he tried to get me to buy a new SUV for my wife. The 0% price was more than the cash price by about 3-4k. I ended up buying a 4- year old SUV with 25k miles for about 25k less than a new one. Its still pretty shiny!! I pay cash for everything so it is much harder to let go of the money, and it forces me to find the absolute best deal I can find.

#48 ·
Regardless of what you negotiate, certain aspects of zero percent financing can't be negotiated.

They don't offer the same rebates, etc... when you get the zero % financing.

You might still qualify for a dealer cash rebate, in which they will just add to the bottom end.

A dealer will not sell you a new vehicle at a loss, neither will the manufacturer.

Just like you won't install a drive well below your cost and tell the customer they can pay in 2 years.

#49 · (Edited)
Your saying a lot of things we already know.

I just re-read all my post... I didnt see where I said, "Hey, I bought a truck... and it was sooo cheap, the dealer didnt even make any money, I WON"

Im off to go buy a new 60" LED for my office... Yep... NEW! :)
And im going to put in on my credit card.. and pay it off before my due date.. I BEAT THE MAN!

#51 ·
And noone seemed to mention how Dealers make a higher NET on used vehicle then they do on new. Hence all those " WE WANT YOU USED CCCAARRRRRR" ads
Yes that is true. Dealers only make about a grand on a new vehicle, but could make 3-4k on a used one.

That is why I never buy anything from a dealer. Plus the $500 doc fee, plus local sales tax... hell I can avoid the taxes and the doc fees by buying from an individual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.