JD 14 SB Engine Doesn't Run Well

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kcflyer, May 27, 2004.

1. kcflyer

kcflyer LawnSite Member

I have a JD 14 SB mower that I bought 8 or 9 years ago. It mowed one lawn for 6 or so years and hasn't been run at all for the last 3 years (moved to a bigger yard and bought a 48" Encore).

It has been maintained well, garaged and ran until empty of gas the last time I used it (2001).

I want to let my dad use it but it is hard to start and I have to keep it in choke mode for it to keep running. Of course it doesn't run very well so rich.

When I pull the throttle back for normal operation it speeds up (maybe too fast) and dies. If I'm quick I can put it back into the choke range and it will sometimes keep running.

I ran a whole tank of fresh gas through it but the same problem persists.

Any ideas?

2. Jagor

Jagor LawnSite Member

Had similar problem with Kawasaki engine on JD WB mower. Disassemble and clean carb with air and carb cleaner spray. All it takes is a spider web, leaf fragment or bug in an air vent to cause problems after mower storage.
  3. leogod

leogod LawnSite Member
    from chicago

Did cleaning the carb work?
  4. Jagor

Jagor LawnSite Member

We have'nt heard from "kcflyer" yet but it certainly worked for us.
  5. kcflyer

kcflyer LawnSite Member

I took the carb off and cleaned it with Gumout. It seemed pretty clean with only a little residue in the float chamber.

I put it back on with no real improvement. I can get the mower to work better by holding one of the linkages - I think that it is the govenor. If I don't hold it it swings back and forth.

My old B&S mower had a paddle that the magneto cooling fins pushed out. If the mower spun too fast the paddle would move and slow things down. How does this work on the Kawasaki?

Thanks for the advice and for checking up on me!
  6. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Get a carb kit for it and completely disassemble the carb. Soak the carb in a good imersion cleaner like Pestol carb cleaner. Then rassemble the carb with the kit and you should be good to go. The metering ports in those carbs are so small you really need to soak them. The spray carb cleaners sometimes leave a powdery deposit that breaks up and clogs the ports in the carb.
  7. kcflyer

kcflyer LawnSite Member

OK. I bought the carb kit. Are there instructions online on how to rebuild carb or do I just take everything apart, soak in cleaner and try to remember how to put everything back together?

8. BZB_Helpers

BZB_Helpers LawnSite Member

your governor arm swings back and forth, i had that same problem. after i changed my oil and ran it for awhile, the motor would run perfectly.