JD 1400 series

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hlgmoney, Jun 8, 2002.

1. hlgmoney

hlgmoney LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys use the new 1400 series mowers from John Deere. I've looked at them and they look really mean. Looking for a first hand account from someone who's put some hours on one.
  2. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

cousin owns one for his buisness. I have put some hours on it helping him out. Also the golf course i work at is getting one next week. If you have large properties that are wide open this thing will mow and mow and mow till you get tired of sitting. the 7-iron deck gives an awsome cut. We got the 4wd and i tried getting it stuck and could not. he uses his on large commercials and it cuts as good as any scag he uses. You will like it if you get one. they are pricey though.
  3. hlgmoney

hlgmoney LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I have a couple of large accounts and some small ones also. Just trying to feel out my options. You're right, they are expensive machines.
  4. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

you can use it on the small accounts also. it is just heavy and the stripes are so big it will not look as nice. if you want to go with a new one try the 1420. It is a 28hp gas engone and is just as good as the 1445 which is a 31 hp diesil. If you don't want to spend as much money go to your local JD dealer and ask them to try and find you an F1145. This was the mower before they cam out with the 1400 series. It gave an excellent cut also and transported at 12 mph.
  5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I have a guy in Michigan running a flex-deck on a 72" main deck 1145 - he won't mow without it - 90" total cut - has had it 2 yrs. - is a commercial mower. --

Please visit the sponsor forums, and our web sites - we pay for them you know.
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The 1145 is NOT going to give anywhere near what many consider a "quality" cut! The yellow decked mowers were horrible when it came to mowing anything over 2.5" Cutting low they were merely OK, but at 3" they were REAL bad! 3.5, FORGET it!! No suction, and with the diesel, you can NOT crank up the RPM's to get better blade speed.

The 1400 series looks like a great mower, but I would reserve them for the 3+ acre properties. Just too long for the small residential stuff. Just remember they are NOT a Zero turn mower, and need a lot of room at the end of a row to turn around!

There cant be too much of a cost break between the LC gas and Diesels on them. Weight isn't an issue in this situation.....DIESEL all the way!

If you need a big mower, I would look at the big Exmark, SCAG, DC 72" ZTR's with the diesels. If you need bigger than that.....TORO Groundmasters!
  7. tlcgrounds

tlcgrounds LawnSite Member

I agree!! I looked at a 1400 series mower to replace my 72" lazer but the numbers just don't work. I can put a 72" ztr in places a tracot or front mount wouldn't dare. If your looking for a dedicated unit ( mowing use only) a ztr would be the best overall value no matter who the manufacture is. I would llike to see Deere come out with a 6 ft ztr!!
  8. marvinlee

marvinlee LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

A fine feature on the 1400 decks is the high quality little five inch deck wheels. These are much better than what came on my Kubota ZD-21 and most other commercial mowing decks. The JD 1400 gauge wheels have grease fittings, a grease seal on the inner axle side, an axle cover on the outer side, and specialized plastic bearings to reduce wear. I liked these so much that I bought a set and put them on the ZD-21.