JD 14SB Carb Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by b & t lawn care, Sep 21, 2003.

1. b & t lawn care

b & t lawn care LawnSite Member

Love my JD 14SB's. Have 4 ranging from 5 to 14 years old. Great machines...xcept....they have carb problems. They surge, spit & sputter, and just sound like junk. Have taken apart carb & cleaned every passage & port w/carb cleaner...no luck. Have put new floats & needles in....no change, what am I missing? Of course a new one from JD @ 90.00 resolves the problem but am rather looking for another parts outlet other than JD & paying extra just for the name. Anyone out there know of other part outlets? It'd be gr8ly appreciated.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I ran several of these mowers for many years. They are very touchy about getting trash in the carb. I never had any luck trying to clean them myself. I always ended up taking them to one of our local repair shops, and let them do it. After having three in there in about two months, the shop owner installed a small, plastic, inline fuel filter on one of the mowers. That cured the problem once and for all. We added one to every mower. One other thing. NEVER turn the mower on it's side with the carburator side down, to change blades or work under the deck. Turn it over to the other side. It seems to make the problem worse if you have the carb down so gas floods into it . :)

3. b & t lawn care

b & t lawn care LawnSite Member

Thank you for the filter idea , did you buy your carb from JD or elsewhere .

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The carb, or carb rebuild parts, came from a local distributor that handles Kawasaki engines and parts. I don't think JD even handles parts for the Kawasaki engines. Your JD dealer would get them from a Kawasaki distributor, or direct from Kawasaki.:)