JD 14SB hard shifting transmission

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BrIONwoshMunky, May 31, 2008.

1. BrIONwoshMunky

BrIONwoshMunky LawnSite Member

Hello all, I'm new around here, and upon reading a few threads thought you folks would be able to help me out. Provided of course, that you're feeling generous today!:dizzy:

Due to a broken BBC, last fall the poor mower was in pieces. Blade on the ground, with the mounting bolts still in it! HA! Can't use a mower without a blade, and so, it ended up at a local shop where, after FINALLY getting to it this spring, they proceeded to tell me that I was going to cost a fair amount for just the BBC and that the engine would still have a bent crank.

So, I just took it home waited around, sniped an engine from E-bay and installed a new BBC. The motor and the BBC now work flawlessly, suprisingly the e-bay motor started about the 4th pull after being completely drained of fluids, and filled by myself.

The problem I'm having is that I seem to only have 3 speeds on the transmission, and getting to them requires me to finagle the shifter lever for a while before hitting the 'sweet spot'.

So, I dropped the transmission so to speak, and found that the cable covering was split right behind the little silver piece that's clamped down. So, I be-bopped on down to the local JD dealer and snagged a new shift cable, and a new throttle cable to match, and installed both.

It didn't help.

I would assume, but I do not know for certain, that my problems could be exacerbated by the fact that the long part of the axel seems to have a nice bend in it, something which I'm relatively certain, shouldn't be present on an axel. :laugh:

So, My dilemma seems to be: Do I buy a whole new transmission, or try to salvage this one?

How would I go about splitting the transmission?

Do I need to remove the little plastic levers on the top?

Will I be able to buy parts, or are those transmissions pretty much all or nothing on repairs?

Oh, also, all 4 wheels seem to be in dire need of the inside ball bearings. I was wondering if anyone replaced just the bearings.

Thanks for taking the time to read this long novella of a thread!

BrIOnwosh

2. BZB_Helpers

BZB_Helpers LawnSite Member

the axleshaft is replaceable for about $50-100 I believe. I've never had to replace the ball bearings in the wheels, the thread always wears out first for me. The plastic shifter on top of the trans just pull off.

3. BrIONwoshMunky

Thanks for the heads up! As for wheels, do you go with John Deere replacments, or have you found a suitable aftermarket replacment?

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Shouldn't have bearings in the wheels unless it's the 14SX (the commercial model with the steel wheels) Not to say someone in the past didn't convert it over to BB wheels.

I know the transmission on mine is just as funky, even after having it replaced 3 or 4 years back when it shelled out completly. I always have to "find the sweet spot" to get it to GO. I very rarely move the lever from 4th gear though, once in a while to 3rd to keep the catcher from bouncing off. 5th on mine is almost faster than I want to walk, and I'm tall!

Seems like a lot of money to drop into an OLD mower... Though they don't make the newer ones anything at ALL like the good older models. I know that I've replaced just about everything other than the deck and the engine on mine, lol.

5. BrIONwoshMunky

I know I know, It isn't worth it. BUUUT, it's a more of a hobby project at this point, so money, while mattering a bit, isn't much of an issue. It won't get abused, and once it's up and going it'll should be around for a long while, if the first go-round lasted about 15 years!

The wheels appear to be JD P# AM115138. The yellow plastic ones with a brass bushing on the outside, and a ball bearing on the inside. The front wheels had plenty of tread, the drive wheels didn't, so I rotated them. Hopefully I'll get a few more miles out of them.

6. BZB_Helpers

BZB_Helpers LawnSite Member

OE JD wheels cost me $55 w/ tax for two, I saw on ebay, 2 aftermarket wheels for $30 +s/h

7. BrIONwoshMunky

Wheels for the 14SB are JD P# AM115138, they're ~$23/ea. I ended up ordering 4 Oregon replacments, with PN 72-115 for ~$11/ea. shipped, from www.mowpart.com. Half price ain't bad.