JD 14SB Kawas engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by joe39, Aug 23, 2005.

1. joe39

joe39 LawnSite Member

I’ve got a John deere 14SB (silver) 21" walkbehind lawn mower. The engine was working fine
    but once it got hot it would start to rev down and up to where it was until it died. After a while I could start it again and it would work perfect for another while, but do it again. The adjustment did not fix the problem
    so I bought a carburetor repair kit and installed it. I made sure every thing was done according to the JD diagram and I still end up with the same problem. Anyone out there can give me some light on this problem?? Sure would appreciate it

Thanks
    Joe :help:

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like the coil to me

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto .....On the coil.

4. joe39

joe39 LawnSite Member

Thanks for putting me on the right path. I will get me a coil tomorrow, if not for you guys I'd still be ramming the same wall.

Joe

5. joe39

joe39 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I have a neighbor down the road who has an identical 14sb ( running great) and he let me borrow it to test my coil, by replacing mine with his on my machine it still has the same problem (runs about 20/30 minutes and then starts reving down and up to origin until it dies) Will not start till it cools off, any thing else it could be? I have a fuel filter on my machine and I know the carburator is clean.

6. Restrorob

Ok, Post the model and spec. numbers off the white bar code lable on the engine so I can see what it is.

7. joe39

joe39 LawnSite Member

OK here is the info on the engine code bar plate:

code FC150V-FS00

E/No FC150VD85933

8. Restrorob

Well, Given what you have already done the only thing left is the igniter (little silver box mounted on the side of the engine) Take this off your neighbors machine and try it again. If this does the trick be prepaired to spend ouch ! $60.00 for that little thing.
    Btw; Coil to flywheel air gap is 0.012 in.

Do we actually know it's dropping spark when getting hot ?

9. ghuffman3

ghuffman3 LawnSite Member

change the air filter, just don't blow it out, go and get a new one. my cub cadet was doing the exact same thing. another lco told me about how condensation builds up in the filter, especially during this humid part of year. changed the filter on mine and it has run perfect since. i have also passed this info along to other people with similar problems and they were amazed that a seemingly clean filter would cause all the problems. sometimes it is the simple thins overlooked that cause the biggest headaches. hope this helps.

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like it is overheating to me. Clean out the cooling fins around the unit.