JD 172lx (rider; 14hp Kaw, 5spd) lost spark

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by janb, Apr 2, 2006.

1. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

This is a 'new to me' (yesterday), PO had issues with ign switch not engaging starter, so... I jumpered the starter poles and it ran great, mowed a swath to the shop, so I could add a 'push button' start. Then... (after taking seat/fenders off to service tranny + adding 'push button' start) - no spark!!!
    (seat switch is functioning ok) - I wired push button from hot @ key switch (center 'big red') to wire that runs to starter solenoid (white/purple)

I disconnected my newly added switch to see if I could restore spark, not luck

so...
    1) safety interlocks? - is seat safety switch only one that shuts down spark? (Do the Deck, tranny, clutch, tranny selector position- 'safety's' disable 'circuit' to starter (act like dead battery / won't crank) rather than kiil spark?) any safety I'm missing?

2) maybe some other spark issue, (seems unlikely since it ran fine)
    coil, transistor doo-dad

3) any 'short-cuts' to get spark, or test components?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Disconnect the tractor wire harness from the engine and check for spark again. Doing this will bypass all safety switches and the faulty ignition switch that could be the problem. This will tell you if it's a engine electrical problem or tractor problem.

3. janb

replaced 'control' module with one off my 185, and she runs... any suggestions on where to get modules cheap?

can you use a 'generic one' seem to be ~$15

the JD's w/ Kaw are a bit difficult to source econo parts.

thx,
    janb

4. Restrorob

I would say no to the Generac, Post the engine model and spec. numbers off the white bar code label and I'll see what I can dig up.

5. fireman649

fireman649 LawnSite Member

I got one for my lx186 off of ebay for 25 dollars, worked great, it was brand new

6. janb

I see those in AR listed for $29, look like a retrofit, but likely work well

engine info
    e/n FC420-A74497
    model FC420-AS10

or... my 185 is FC540V BS00

thx for help

7. Restrorob

Deer bought all rights for service parts from Kawasaki so I believe they can set their own price. I don't know what your Deer dealer wants for the igniter but the Kaw. part# is 21119-2161 and list at 51.25 and can be purchased at any Kaw. dealership. Couldn't find a after-market supplier for this part.

8. janb

thanks, a bunch :weightlifter:
    the ebay replacement is for
    21119-2101 (rider); 21119-2119 (push)

so probably time to go shopping, I've been trying to find used, but, no luck yet...

9. Restrorob

The number above is a old part number, It has been superseded by the number I posted above. So while shopping look for both numbers.

Good Luck