1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

JD 2305 vs 2320???

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by thepawnshop, Jul 26, 2007.

1. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

I did a search on both tractors and could not find what I was looking for which is the answer to this question...is the 2305 "too small"? The reason I ask is I was talking to a Deere dealer in another area and expressed an interest in the 2305 to use primarily for my personal home and secondarily to prep seed beds and final grade my new houses I build. He thinks I will be better off with a 2320...I plan on getting the bucket, 54" mid mount bucket, box blade and a landscape rake (I don't plan on using the bucket to dig with, but I do plan on using it to push/move snow off of my big driveway as well as moving top soil and mulch...)

Do you guys think the 2305 will fit the bill, or should I spend the extra 2k for almost double the lift capacity at the 3 point hitch (681lbs vs. 1150lbs) as well as the extra axle capacity?

I'm only considering Deere, as that is the only equipment I use in my construction business and I want to use their green stuff at home so please don't tell me I should consider another brand.

2. bahamamills

bahamamills LawnSite Member

With out a doubt spend the extra money and get the 2320. Same motor but on a more "tractor like" frame. You not only get more lift and axle capacity on front and rear but you also get larger tires which is stability.

All of this and you still have a great compact tractor.
  3. bahamamills

bahamamills LawnSite Member

4. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

Sit down on each one and drive them. The 2320 is more roomy and less cramped for me than the 2305. It will easily handle a bigger bucket than a 54. I have a Deere X744 with the same engine and the Yanmar really puts out. I have a 62" deck, 14 bushel powerflow bagger, rear PTO and three point hitch, and a Johnny Bucket Sr. I have a landpride fertilizer spreader. Not to ramble, but my machine is way more roomier than a 2305. That means a lot if you need to spend a lot of time on it. I mostly needed to do Lawn and turf care, mulching and loaming, spreading gravel, etc...Good choice my going with a Deere.
  5. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

I asked the local dealer about the 2320 and he suggested that the 2520 would be a better choice as it is the same size as the 2320 but has a few more horspower. He actually said that he prefers NOT to sell the 2320 as he thinks that it is an "underpowered" machine. That said, both on this forum AND another all of the owners seem to love their 2320. Personally, right now I am leaning towards the 2520 just to kind of "future proof" my purchase...I plan on making a decision tomorrow as that is when the 0 percent finance deal ends.

I'm open to any and all feedback!
  6. mowerdave

mowerdave LawnSite Member

If i had to do it again, I would go with the 2320. I purchased a 2305 last spring. Don't get me wrong, it works great and does what I need it to do. The bucket on the loader has no problem picking up mulch or dirt. It is also small enough that I can put an aerator on the 3-point hitch and squeeze in and out to trees with no problem. It has the 200cx loader so I am able to take the bucket off and put on a set of pallet forks. That is where I have the problem. The tractor almost sin't heavy enough to pick up small pallets of stone or bagged mulch. I probably won't be trading it in, but wish I would have spent the extra money to begin with.
  7. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

I have a 2520 with backhoe, tiller, box blade, brush hog, harley rake, and front loader & imatch quick hitch. Great machine for its size. Would work well for finish work around homes, small landscape installs. The 2305 is too small for what you want to do with the machine.
  8. Ducati996

Ducati996 LawnSite Member

How did you make out? I have the 2520 w FEL and backhoe (small avatar picture) - I also owned the 2320, but if this is going to be used commerically I would say look at the 2520. Lots of reasons why, but no need to get into them because it may sound negative, which its not.

My signature has a site with much more info on these models -

Let us know how you make out