jd 240 skidsteer hyd question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Harrington Landscape, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Harrington Landscape

Harrington Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Erie Pa

I have a jd 240 skid loader it is a 1999 with 1100 hrs on it and i have seen the hyd fluid leaking all out on my floor Does anyone know if these have a problem or what it could be. I filled it tonight and started it to see if a hose was leaking or a fitting nothing . The skid steer drives and lifts and dumps but just leaks bad. just seeing if anyone knows what it could be. I am going to take it to the dealer but I am scared to find out what the bill could be on this.

2. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

Yeah those 200 series were not the best. How much oil are you adding?

3. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Flip the cab back. There is a nut on each side that you remove. Grab the handles then an kinda jerk the cab up. It should raise then. You should be able to see pretty easy where the leak is coming from. I think there is some hoses close to the fron. Im guessing one that feeds the peddles. You should be able to fix yourself no problem.

4. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

what is the floor?,did you pull the cab up and look for the source?if you bought it new have you ever cleaned the belly on it,that's were dirt builds and tends to chafe on these machines,tell us more and i am sure someone can help.:)

5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't notice any pressure loss in the loader or drive train, it might be a supply line to the pumps, lucky you don't have a Bobcat, you would only have 2 minutes after spotting the oil leak to find a place to shut down, 'cuz 6 liters of hydraulic oil disappears mighty fast!

6. crab

got it, the floor of you're whatever not the machine.field man is right take a look at least before the dealer\.

7. cat2

from Mi

Well since he said he filled it, it has to be hydraulic tank. i was going to say it could be the chain case too. Even a axle seal or something. We need more info

8. crab

had that happen on a 863 ron 2 times that sucked,realy blows in conservation areas.:canadaflag::canadaflag::canadaflag:

9. cat2

from Mi

When you lift the cab do you see any oil?

10. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

My T190 did it 3 times in one year, that was the record. :cry: