JD 250 Series II lookin to buy

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mklawnman, May 10, 2005.

1. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Well i've gotten the itch to look into buying a skid loader finally after 3 years of renting one. And also the amount of hardscape work we are doing this year and the other jobs that I will need it for. I've been working with my local JD dealer for the past 3years and they have been wonderful at giving me deals on rental equipment especially skid steers, knowin that I would one day buy one...Well one has caught my eye, i think its a 2003 or 2004 JD 250 Series II High Flow with 330hrs on it. It was a DNR skid steer and they traded it in and got a new one. It has a cab enclosure with heat. The sales/rental guy is talking about selling it to me for about $20,000 or so. I asked how much is a brand new one with no extras on it, he said at least $5-7,000 more plus i want a cab for snow removal and also for poweraking and such with the machine. The cab costs $2,100 and the hi-flow option is almost $3k which what i've been told is nice to have for other attachments. So that total would easily hit at least $33,000 brand new. Right now we've been using it for a brick patio that we are working on and it looks in great condition, runs great and smooth,no leaks, one tire is not the same as all of them so Im sure i could get a swap off of another one. I already told him I would definatly want to get the weight kit and then down the line get the hydraulic quick tatch and A/C for the cab.
    I know there arent alot of people onhere who talk about Deere Skid Steers. And I know the older 250 models had problems and the Series II is suppose to be way better of a machine than the older models. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Matt

2. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Sounds like a pretty good deal. Remember that the 200 II machines were, in many ways, designed to test the waters before opening up to the 300 series. (Granted certain large components were swapped, but the 200 II were definitely used to probe around to clear any issues that may have come prior to the release of a new line.)

Best of luck. The 250II should be a decent machine for your needs, and certainly allows you to move up should your growth warrant it.

3. mklawnman

Yeah I realize that, from what i heard the biggest problem was quality control issues and so they now make the machines in Dubuque, Iowa in their own factory.
    I've rented plenty of 250's over the past 3yrs all of them were the first generation ones, most of them worked great with over 2,000hrs on them. And some of those machines looked beatup and leaked. This machine looks brand new minus the small scratches it recieves from driving off road and such and normal wear and tear you see on 330hrs. I just think it would be a great starter skid steer to last me many years and then look to buy new someday down the road.
    I've driven a new LS 160 and also a 98' Bobcat 773 both had hand foot controls. Bobcat seemed to not have enough power or lifting capacity, also the visability seemed to be aproblem. The NH was nice since it was brand new but the controls inside seemed out dated, and the features on it didnt really make me wanna go out and buy one.
    I've just been used to renting and been pleased with the Deere skid steers, minus some problems at times but thats due to the whole renting issue, where this model I'm looking at isnt a rental unit, its for sale.
    Everyone will have their gripes about something just like lawn mowers, trucks., etc...
    Thanks
    Matt

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I may be wrong but I don't think you can install AC or the Hydrualic coupler after the fact I believe its a factory add only not a field install.

5. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Definitely a possibility... my only thought is that I don't think the 250 II can have AC? mklawnman, were you thinking of buying your own unit?

(And the 773 can be a bit doggy; hence the S185. I wouldn't be surprised to see more power in that size class in the future. Visibility has been upgraded as well on post-1999 machines.)

6. mklawnman

The series II models have an option to put A/c in them, I already asked and even checked out the specs online from Deeres website.
    Matt

7. mklawnman

Ksss, your right except if I want to get the hydraulic hookup they can put it in, except it would have to run into my auxiliary couplers in front which means I would have to unhook them to run a powerake, so I guess that idea is out the window. The sales guy called this morning, $18,900 or so out the door. A/C can be added, but i can live with unlatchin the attachments, hey for this deal Ill take it.
    Matt

8. jd270

jd270 LawnSite Member

you will like the deere i have been verry happy with mine the levers to release the bucket are the easiet of any brand i have everused on my 873 i had to get out and hop up and down on the to get them to lock on my 270 i can just raise the bucket up a little ways and lock it with my hand ........i know the motors in the 200s are good and they are wet sleaved before i trade for a new 332 i am going to see how the new motors stand up