JD 345 20HP Kaw FD611V ignition problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dutch1, May 16, 2008.

1. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Problem: Trouble shooting on a neighbors JD 345. It has a Kaw FD611V WC engine. Neighbor reports it has been hard starting for a while but has ran irregularly when hot. He brought it down today while hot. I gave it full throttle several times and most of the time it fell on it's face. Put a spark checker and repeated the full throttle scenario. When it just started to accelerate spark disappeared. I pulled both plug wires one at a time and the engine runs well on one cylinder at idle and starting into acceleration mode. The engine has an igniter and I have heard that it has been the source of this type of ignition problem.

I'm looking for confirmation from someone who has had a similar problem or from a JD jockey who can confirm my analysis. I'm convinced that the coil(s) are not the problem.

Dutch

2. kawasaki1

kawasaki1 LawnSite Member

you might want to check if it has a delay module. the main ignition modules do go out, but not very often.

also check battery voltage. most of these engines use a 12 volt ignition like a car and if the voltage is low the spark will die at higher rpm's.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Dutch,

I'm not a JD Jock but do know a little about Kawasakis.....[​IMG]

The igniter does control spark so performing the below test will either show it being the problem or eliminate it.

[​IMG]

Good Luck

4. dutch1

from Jayhawk

Thanks Rob. You did better for me than I did for you.

I don't own a Kaw specific tool. All I have is a Fluke VOM. In your experience do you feel that the Fluke will suffice? Am I going to be over battery powered as the service manual suggests or obtain unusable results?

That igniter is in the vicinity of $245 so I don't want to blow it away unnecessarily.

That a bunch of tests to check the integrity of the igniter. For an old fart like me, I'm not sure I can keep things straight.

Dutch

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Dutch,

I'm not sure about using a Fluke, I had mine stolen years ago and never got off the wallet and replaced it. I use a Radio Shack brand now and have used a few Taiwan meters. The readings may be a couple points off but I have always found a drastic difference in readings to confirm it bad.

What I do is print out the test chart then write my readings below the spec I'm testing then go back and compare (I'm not a spring chicken either), In most cases I find a drastic difference within the first four test and deem it bad ceasing any further testing.

Cya

6. dutch1

from Jayhawk

That's exactly what I had in mind when I printed the test procedure last night. Wiil do the test and let you know what happens. Your help with the information is greatly appreciated.

Dutch