JD 4115 advice needed

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by glagen, Sep 9, 2004.

1. glagen

glagen LawnSite Member

I own 3 1/2 acres, 1 1/2 grassed and 2 heavily wooded. I need a loader/backhoe for a variety of landscape jobs from annual mulching (10+ yds), planting 20-30 trees, excavating a 30x30x3 water garden, and thining out the wood lot, i.e. removing stumps and small boulders. I also have a 125' driveway that has to be snowblown due to retaining walls and I already have a JD 47" two stage that will fit on a 4115 (the largest machine JD makes that will accomodate this blower). A new 4115 with a 410 loader and a 46 backhoe runs about $20K. Instead of buying, renting a terramite or small backhoe is an option but would be a pain in the ass running down to the rental center all the time, plus the rental cost. Also, I would be able to recoup some of my investment when I decide I no longer need the machine. Obviously a larger machine will do the job quicker but the cost of bigger machines becomes prohitive for part-time use by a homeowner and I would also have to buy a different snowblower attachement that would fit on a larger machine. Does anyone have any experience with a 4115 that can let me know what I will be able to accomplish with this machine?

Steve Z
  2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

The 4115 is a fairly small compact tractor that would probibly work pretty good for what you want to do. It may take a little longer with it than with a bigger machine but if you want to be able to use your snowblower then I would go with the 4115. I have no experience with the 4115 but based on my knowledge and experience with other tractors this should work fine for you.