JD 415 - Alternator issues

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by avp27, Dec 9, 2007.

1. avp27

avp27 LawnSite Member

hello again !

following on from my fan belt replacement on a JD415 with a 3 cylinder yanmar. I inspected the alternator and I am not sure whether I have another issue. To turn it, it takes a bit of force, it doesn't spin freely...should it ? when you turn it it you can feel the magnets which creates a level of resistance. Just checking in to see if thats normal befoer I put it all back together....

cheers, Anthony

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on how much force you call a "bit", Can you give the pulley a spin and have it continue to spin a turn or so ?

Was it making any kind of noise/do you hear any noise while turning it by hand ?

I'm not familiar with this Yanmar alternator but when in the auto biz if a alternator didn't free spin at-least one turn I went looking for a reason why.

It's anyones guess on this Yanmar, But here is the tear-down procedure in case you want to check it out;

[​IMG]

3. avp27

avp27 LawnSite Member

to answer your question, I can spin it and it will not continue to spin. I seems I have an issue !!!

4. Beaterman

Beaterman LawnSite Member

Remember, this is not REALLY an alternator, its basically an external stator that produces AC voltage. It will not likely spin "freely" (not sure if it would spin a full turn by hand or not) and feeling each magnet (almost like clicks or detents) is a good thing. If there is nothing making contact internally, mount it up and check the voltage across the two pins in the connector. Should get a minimum of about 26-28 volts (AC) just like any other stator. These things are typically quite bulletproof.

5. avp27

avp27 LawnSite Member

its like how you have suggested. You can feel each magnet. I am opening it up today to see. thanks mate

6. avp27

avp27 LawnSite Member

replaced the bearing. all good now. thanks