JD 525 starting problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Road Ruler, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Road Ruler

Road Ruler LawnSite Member

Good day folks..

Yesterday I bought a nice 15 year old JD 525 riding mower. It has a 17 HP Kaw engine,

When I turn the key on it clicks and does nothing. I try it 4 or 5 more times and then it turns over and starts OK. I suspect a weak battery or starter relay. The battery is a two year old enegizer.

What are your thoughts? thnxs

2. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

IF the battery was bad, it wouldn't turn over, period.
    Sounds like the solenoid may be bad, but clean BOTH ends of the battery cables and battery posts first.

3. Road Ruler

Thnxs Bill. I had time to clean the - post yesterday and will do the + one next. I think I have a new soliniod that I could also try. Next for the ideas. Will update on these when I can give them a try.

4. kawasaki1

kawasaki1 LawnSite Member

you are experiencing the dreaded "kawasaki click."

the solenoids get dirty/weak as they age and don't work properly. you can replace the solenoid at $75-$90 or get part #am107421 from your jd dealer.

it's a little relay type booster kit and works well on a lot of enigines. comes complete with instructions and is easy to install.

5. Road Ruler

Kaw1... That is great info. I will stop by the JD dealer and pick up the kit. Bet here in Canada it will be 40.00 with tax. Will let you know.

Hats of to the helpful :usflag:

6. Road Ruler

I got to the JD dealer today and bought the kit. It was $25. plus tax. Not bad.

Will get a chance to install it next week. The parts guy was sure it would fix the problem too. There is a couple pages of instructions. Any tips??

7. kawasaki1

i've found it's easier to lift the back of the machine, remove the rear wheel on the starter side and work from underneath.

be sure to unhook the neg. battery cable. follow the instructions and you're set. the relay itself can be tie wrapped/bolted anywhere, but he ground lead for the relay must be grounded to the engine, frame, or battery. doesn't matter where, just ground it to the easiest place.

also, make sure the relay faces up. it helps keep debris out. yo can use dieelectric silicone on the plug but it's not necessary unless you wash the machine a lot.

8. Road Ruler

Sounds good Kaw1. Thnxs for the tips. I also picked up a new spark plug while I was there. What gap setting do you find works good on these engines?

9. kawasaki1

.028-.032. i usually set them at.030

10. Road Ruler

.030 it is. thnxs again!!!