JD 54" Striper delima!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrwinter74, Apr 27, 2004.

1. jrwinter74

jrwinter74 LawnSite Member

After searching high and low, my JD dealer says they only carry a 60 and 72" striper. Has anyone operating a JD ZTRAK 737 54" had any luck making one. I have considered the old "mud flap" or chain idea. Also, would you mount it behind the mower deck in front of the rear tires or behind the mower itself? And two, how wide should it be? The reason I ask is do you leave off for the wide tires (which would make it approx. 34" wide if mounted directly behind the deck and in front of the rear tires) or go the entire width of the deck? JW

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Lay down and get me a picture under the rear from the back. Then snap one of the side view between the back of the deck and rear tires. Get those posted and I will try to help. I will be right by the JD dealer tomorrow so I will stop and have a look for you. But I think all he has are 60"....

Catch up with you in 24 hrs.

3. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

JR- I have a 737. I made a chain kit and it worked well. I saw the udflap idea and made one of those the other day. Havent tried it yet. You dont need to go the whole length of the deck. I did my chains and mudflap around 30 inches. Thats what it is inside the rear tires. As for bolting them on i used those pre drilled holes on the curved bars under the bak end. youll see them right between the rear tires. there are 2 sets. use the upper ones. Iff you use the lower ones you will scrape coming off a trailor. Have fun. good luck

4. jrwinter74

HERE ARE THE PICTURES. JW

im000584.jpg

5. jrwinter74

HERE'S THE OTHER OF THE SIDE.

im000583.jpg

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

jr,

I went by the JD dealer and I was right. Only 757's. But from the pictures, it appears to be pretty much the same. I didn't see the location of the pre-drilled holes chefdrp mentioned. But I really wasn't looking for them either.

For me, the deck is too close to the rear tires to advise putting a flap there. At any lenght at all it would be prone to get under the tires or into the left & right blade chambers. So I have 3 suggestions....

1- Use those pre-drilled holes. Personally I wouldn't go drilling on my machine.
    2- Attach to the deck carrier arms at the very back.
    3- Attach to the metal on the inside around the wheel motor.

Right now I'm messing with a 'between the tires' flap myself. Here are the key issues as I see them right now.... As far as attachment, the closer to direct center of the wheels, the better. I am going to be using some stiff and thick conveyor belt. Something as stiff as what I'm using shouldn't even touch the trailer floor when mounted. This way it doesn't gouge when turning and it won't drag gravel and such over into the grass from any gravel drives. But since it's fairly stiff and just a bit above ground level it should do a fair job of brushing the turf to orient the blades in the direction of travel which creates stripes.

Taking the previous into consideration, if you attach to the deck carrier arms, remember they travel up and down with the deck. The closer forward towards the deck, the greter amount of up and down travel. So if you decide to attach there, do it all the way at the rear where it will have little to no effect on the carry height of the flap.

Now the flap itself should be mounted on something like a good piece of square tubing with the pre-drilled holes or a good sturdy piece you can drill. Lay the rubber on it and drill holes in the rubber. Bolt it on with large washers or a pre-drilled flat bar strip. Effectively you are sandwiching the rubber between large contact points to avoid 'pull through'.

You can get the conveyor stuff like me, go to Tractor Supply Co and get a large rubber stall mat or use whatever rubber you have in mind.

I wish I had mine together so I could post some pictures for reference. But so far I'm not having much mounting luck or time to piddle. I was going to U-bolt the square tubing to the top side of my deck carrier arms. But they ride too close to the frame box. So there isn't enough overhang and space to bore a hole and put in the U-bolt. I could drill a mouning hole in my deck carrier arms. But I don't like the idea of going around drilling holes in stuff on my mowers.

I'll update you on anything I can figure out.

7. chefdrp

Ill Take a pic of mine in the morn and post it tomarrow night. Mine is bolted on the back frame. not the deck. there are 2 sets of holes drilled.

8. chefdrp

Check out STINKY, he has a pic of a rubber flap. thats where i got the idea. I did the chains too.

9. jrwinter74

Thanks everyone,...I just came in from "tinkering" and think I have solved my delima. I found an old conveyor belt and the local auto parts store. I used a piece of steel to make the bar and put the belt onto that with sheet metal screws. I'll post a new picture tomorrow and hopfefully a neatly striped yard. I'm sure it'll take some getting use to but what the heck. My first customer will be out of town for a couple of weeks and I can play there for starters. Thanks again! JW

10. jrwinter74

HERE'S WHAT I CAME UP WITH. I THINK IT NEEDS MORE WEIGHT ON THE END THOUGH,...STRIPES ARE NOT DEFINED ENOUGH. ALTHOUGH FROM WHAT I AM READING, WARM SEASON GRASSES DON'T STRIPE VERY WELL. ANY INPUT ON THAT? JW

im000592.jpg