JD 647A or 657A or wright

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tpruitt, Jul 5, 2008.

1. tpruitt

tpruitt LawnSite Member

I am thinking about these 3 mowers, any one have experience with these 3 mower. I am looking for quality of cut over performance. I have considered wright but i dont have steep hills and i have read that the quality of cut from the 7 iron II is unmatched. How well does the 7 iron II mulch. I like the fact that the 7 iron is easier to adjust blade height but the fact of the matter is when i get it set i will probably not change it all that much. If i was in the commercial landscape business i would probably go for the wright but seeing that this machine will be used at most a couple times a week i cannot see spending all the extra money for the wright. I am lucky that i have a great JD dealer as well as a great Wright dealer. I will still go and Demo a wright to compare but i am leaning towards a JD. So what advice do you all have.

TP

2. tpruitt

tpruitt LawnSite Member

one more thing i am not opposed to a walk behind either i have looked at the wright velke and the JD models with the 7 iron but for the price i would have more fun riding and the stander takes up less space in the garage.

3. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got an 06' 647. It's a good little mower. They have plenty of power and you can't beat that 7 Iron II Deck. That deck disperses the grass clippings a lot better than a lot of other decks. One that is good about that deck is that there are no weld joint's that could break since it is a stamped deck.

4. tpruitt

tpruitt LawnSite Member

what is the widest part of your 647. I would think the widths are off on the JD site but it says that its 62 inches that 7 inches of width on both sides of the deck or the platform is wider. is that right?

5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

if you are not mowing commercially go with best dealer support and best price.

Commercially? The JD model was bought from Great Dane, who was suited by wright for copy write infringement, wright won and Great Dane was not only forced to settle, but any future machines had to have their designed changed enough so I did not further violate Wrights design copy write.

The result is a JD/Great Dane/Everride/Ariens stander (all a GD design) are inferior to the stander.

But none of this will matter if you arejust mowing a few lawns

6. tpruitt

tpruitt LawnSite Member

mulching for mulching which mower is better

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Iwouldnt mulch with a 7 iron deck, its engineered around the awesome side dicharge capabilities. Mulching with it would be paying for a power windows and then wanting to roll them down.

If you want a good mulching deck, then you are looking at exmark or toro.

If JD or Wright are you choices in your area... mulch with the wright.

8. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had both mowers. Pro's for JD: mows cleaner the first time in taller grass, the deck stays cleaner longer. Con's for JD: the clippings are larger, they go farther, the machine doesn't turn as well, the front-end is heavier and gets stuck easier, doesn' hold the hills as well. Wright Pro's: Holds hills well, very nimble, doesn't throw the clippings as well, very durable. Con's: doesn't throw the clippings as far, deck needs to be scraped more often. The newer Wrights have the deck baffle and this allows them to mow more effeciently than the older version. As I have said before the Wright Stander is the best compromise for a ride-on mower that I have found!!! Believe me I have tried most of them out there. We have 3 right now and am planning on buying a 4th next year either a 61" ZK or fixed deck. You have to find out what works best in your lawns and your region of the country because what works out best in our area may not be the best in your neck of the woods. Good luck.

9. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

REAL GOOD ADVICE !

I doubt that a different region will lighten the HEAVY front end. It buries itself real quick on a damp lawn. I have a 657 (54"/23hp) We only use it when something else breaks.

10. tpruitt

tpruitt LawnSite Member

At what height does the normal wright stander come set at? Also is it worth the extra money to get the rapid height if I will not be changing it that much once its set? Will the normal stander cut better than the RH do to the fact you can get more hp?