1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

JD 657 QuickTrack

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Works 1, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Lawn Works 1

Lawn Works 1 LawnSite Member

I just got my new John Deere 657 Quick Track today. I have been mowing with a Walker for that past year and got so tired of unclogging the chute and the hassle of the huge bagger on the back. I only used the 657 for about an hour today and it is awesome. The only thing I noticed with it is that it doesn't like to reverse very much. I mowed a pritty steep yard with it today but even on flat ground it i just pull back on the handle to reverse the tire just spins. If i pull back on both handl it will reverse just fine but when trying to reverse with just one the tire just spins. Has anyone else had this problem with a Quicktrack or a Super surfer.
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

On your Walker, you had the MOST traction in reverse, less going forward.

Try leaning your body weight over that side or even give it a little body "english" to give it some help.

Some Z's are like this too. I would just reverse with BOTH tires for a quick second to get the machine and casters moving in reverse, then just do the one side.

Good Luck

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Lawnworks,,,, How is the 657 doin..... Still lovin it.... I too am using a walker and now going to a 657 over the next few weeks... Not any of them around here though... Have you tried it with a catcher yet or did you get the collection system from JD ..

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

anybody else using these John Deere 657's Quick Trak.... I would really like to hear more feedback on them,especially compared to the Wright standers and Great Danes.... The deck is way diff than the Great danes and the JD's have floating deck over the wrights fixed deck...... So lets hear some mo ....
  5. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

Also you can try softening the tires a bit (lowering the pressure).