1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

JD 717 hydraulic oil ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by shawn32, Sep 4, 2011.

1. shawn32

shawn32 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I have a JD 717 and need to change the hydraulic oil in it. Does anyone know a good oil I can use other than the JD plus 50 0w-40 synthetic blend? Can I use Mobile1 0W-40 ? Any help would be great.
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Can I presume you mean the oil in the hydrostatic drive system? I have a JD 717A, and it has no hydraulic system (e.g. lift).

I use Amsoil 10W-40 in an annual change. You need to get a filter as well. Either get one from your dealer, or order online. It is about $18, as I recall. The oil change will require about 8 qts to refill. Remember to fill the filter full (use repeated fillings to top it off - allow oil to penetrate all vacant volume in the filter), before mounting. The filter alone will take most of 1 qt. If you take these steps with the filter, you will have little, to no risk in having air in the system. Jack up the rear wheels and run F/R to be sure all the air is out before lowering and applying power to the wheels. Check the level when done, and top off as necessary for proper oil level.