JD 717 Questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stinchcomb Lawn, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Stinchcomb Lawn

Stinchcomb Lawn LawnSite Member

Does anyone have one or every used one. I'm considering this mower for my smaller accounts. Please let me know your thoughts on this machine good or bad. Just wondering if it is the same quailty as my 757 & 997. Thanks
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Do a search on 717 and you will find many posts discussing that mower.

I bought a 717A about one year ago, and am very pleased. I think it is a very sound, solid piece of equipment and the mowing result is superb. The 19hp Kaw would probably be underpowered if a spindle-driven bagger were used in tough mowing conditions. I do not use a bagger, and find the power to be adequate for the 48" deck.
  3. spazfam

spazfam LawnSite Member

Just bought a 717A this season and so far we are very pleased with it. We only have 2.8 hrs on it.
  4. chammons

chammons LawnSite Member

Just bought one also this year...no problems (15 hrs). It is a very solid machine, the 19kaw has plenty of power for the deck size.
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

One of the best mowers I ever owned. Perfect size for most properties expecially residentual.
  6. mountianview

mountianview LawnSite Member

I have one on the way and I can't wait.the iron 7 -2 deck has to be the deck for mulching etc .anyone have anything negative to say Im interested to hear what that might be,hav'nt even gotten mine and Im happy.
  7. Stinchcomb Lawn

Stinchcomb Lawn LawnSite Member

Thanks alot for all of the post ! I will let you know when I get it. I'm looking at getting a 717 and another 757 and trading in my 997, so if the deal if good enough hopefully I will be a 717 owner as well. Thanks again!
  8. Erickson Lawn Mowing

Erickson Lawn Mowing LawnSite Member

I have a 717 thats going on its 5 season of going around stones in cementaries and it has 645 hrs. I have broken both belts once due to debris and the throttle cable and that is it for repairs. Going around stones is a good test of the hydros and it only holds 3 qts. of fluid with no cooling fans so i can attest to the durabilty of the hydros and the motor has been great too. (knock on wood)
  9. chammons

chammons LawnSite Member

The new 717 have cooling fans and a 9-10 qts of fluid.
  10. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

i got one in late Nov. and just getting to use it good.i love this mower for the yards i do.i can cut some good hills with it.i have the full mulch kit on it and it leaves the yard like carpet.if i was to get another one it would be the 717A!