JD 717 z-trak hydro problems,Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by budracer1, Apr 4, 2008.

1. budracer1

budracer1 LawnSite Member
    from Hays,NC

Hey guys,Im new here but looks like a palce for some good advice.Ok here we go,I was mowing wednesday at home after i finished all my other yards and as i was almost finished i turned to come back across the yard,and the left pump started that wining noise like it makes if you start from a dead stop but i wasnt pulling.I moved the levers back and it had a little movement there,but very little.So i moved it back foward trying to get it to my shop,at this pint i noticed that the fluid was pouring up and out of the top of the reservoir around the cap.I then shut it off disengaged the pumps and got it to my shop.I called the local JD dealer and he said most likely i tore up the wheel motor and probably the pump also.:dizzy: He also said that i could check the pump roughly by cracking the fittings loose from the whell motor start the engine and engage the left pump and fluid should spray out pretty forcefully.Well i did this and got no fluid,or a drip at most.So i proceed to remove the pump and as im removing hosed i noticed that one of the return hoses(pump to reservoir) had a small tear in it and was dripping fluid.Anyway i got the pump off and a friend of mine told me that before i buy one i should bring it to him as he has repaired several.So i took it to him today and he called me back a few hours ago only to tell me that the pump looked good,no scarring,no metal,and all the fluid ive seen come out looks really good.So heres my question,Im wandering if maybe the tear in the hose possibly leaked enough fluid to cause this or is my wheel motor possibly bad?I havent noticed any fluid leaking but then again this was the first time this mower has been used this year,and its been parked on a trailer.After talking to several other JD mechanics and having all but 1 tell me that more than likely its only the pump im kinda lost.Im podering putting it all back together,changing fuid and filter,or i should say adding fluid and see what it does,what do you guys think?the only thing that confuses me is the fluid coming back through the lid on the reservoir.

by the way,its a hydro-gear bdp-10a-101 pump and a parker wheel motor and the mower has less than 500 hours on it.

thanks in advance

Jason

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Jason,

Myself, I would have stopped removing the pump when the tear in the hose was discovered.

I would replace the hose and re-install the pump then give it another try.

For lack of a better example;

When a closed spray nozzle is put on the end of a empty (turned off) water hose then the water turn on and the nozzle opened you can get spurts of water and air.

When the hose tore it most likely let air in the system and caused spurts of oil in the tank causing it to puke some out.

Just a guess.....

3. budracer1

from Hays,NC

LOL if only i had thought of that.Im going to put it all back together tomorrow and ill give an update.Thanks for your comment.

Jason

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Had the hose been rubbing on some adjacent part, frame, or whatever? What may have caused the damage to the hose?

I have a 717, so am interested to know if I should be looking for a potential problem. My machine was bought in May 2006, and has about 500 service hours. We could have machines that are about the same age.

5. budracer1

from Hays,NC

Hey Roger,The return hoses fit over about a 1 1/4 long fitting and are secured by some kind of factory compression clamp.Anyway the return on the front of the pump had the hose coming straight off the fitting and going toward the rear of the mower causing the point of the fitting over time trying to drive through the side of the hose.I hope this made sense,if not i can try to take a picture later on when i get it back together.

Jason

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the verbal explanation. I will try to follow what you said when looking at mine.

But, if you can post pics, that would be most helpful. Thanks.

7. budracer1

from Hays,NC

Ok guys i got it all put back together today,filled with new oil and changed the filter and its working like a charm.:dancing:I have no clue unless it just got low on fluid because even after removing the pump and all the hoses and draining the reservoir,it took all of about 10 seconds to purge the pumps,You would think that if it had sucked in air that i would have been more of a problem getting the air out.Anyways im functional again for now.

roger,i couldnt get any pics but if you jack your mower up from the rear and look at the left pump there is only one hose you can see that comes from the other side its a 3/8 hose and just look about 1-2 inches out from where it connects to the pump.

Jason

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks, I will take the time to do what you suggest.

I'm glad to hear you are back running in good order!