JD 717A cut quality

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LushGreenLawn, Apr 28, 2008.

1. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have noticed that My JD 717A tends to leave a ragged cut with the mulch kit installed. I have not used it without the mulch kit, so I don't have a comparison with and without.

I have used Gator Blades, High Lifts, and standard mulching blades.
    Oddly enough, the high lifts gave the smoothest cut, but did not chop the clipping well, and I had clippings everywhere. I only used them once.

Has anyone noticed this with their John Deere? It is normal for any mower with a mulch kit? I can get the cut to look good, but only after double and triple cutting, even when its not spring and growing like crazy.

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Mulching sucks to be honest. Take the kit off and use high lifts and side discharge. Night and day difference in cut quality. Not many people here in MD mulch and very few bag unless its by request.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I only side discharge with my 717A and I like the stock high lift blades the best. It does leave long clippings which I think would be better if the mower had a higher blade tip speed.

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I would never consider mulching with my JD 717A because of the type of grass, frequency of cut, etc. I use standard high-lift blades and get a very good result. The surface is smooth, slick as a whistle, and the clipping spread is very even.

I would much rather have a good cut, with long clippings evenly distributed across the lawn, than to have a mulched clippings (more like chewed), and a ragged cut. The huge feature of mulching is elimination of the "clippings in the beds" problem. This is a problem, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the excellent quality of cut for the discharge mode.